Thread: Leigh Jigs

Leigh Jigs

We all get frustrated at times with quality of products, service and how many tools have been sent off shore for manufacturing. I cuss out the Borgs, and other companies daily. Today, instead of complaining, I thought I would offer up an experience I had this morning with Leigh Jigs.

I bought a D4R in 2005 because I was making some cedar chests that were 24" tall, a few of them, for my daughters. I simply wasn't inclined to cut 8 feet of dovetails by hand, times the number I was building. The jig worked great and I got them all made. I have used the jig off and on over the past 12 years, mostly for making drawers. I had a frustration now and then, one about five years ago when the fingers wouldn't stay in place. I called Leigh and they shipped me a full set of new fingers with the required parts, at no charge. Simply told me it was under warranty. I said 'Thank you' and thought what a great company.

This past Saturday I am again making a bunch of drawers so pulled out the jig. About 10 minutes into setting up and testing, the left side knob that tightens the life / hold for the finger bar froze up. I had just loosened it to raise the bar, but when I tried to tighten it back up, it simply would not turn. I moved it a bit eventually using a set of adjustable grips, but then it froze up completely and would not turn at all.

I took a couple of photos and sent them to Leigh on Saturday, then called them this morning. Two things that amazed me.

1) The gal that answered the phone didn't transfer me to anyone. She asked which product, and what the issue was, and for the serial number. I told her all the info and she then said "Oh, I was just looking at your email, but hadn't had a chance to call you." She clarified a couple of things, then told me that she would send me both the left and right side bars, the end pieces of the jig itself since the frozen one was locked in place so could not be used, two new style knobs, etc. Everything I would need to get back up and running. And this was the person who answered the phone call!

2) I fully expected to pay for the parts as it has been 12 years since I bought the jig. She told me no charge, not even for shipping. I should have the replacement parts in about a week. Again no charge to me at all! She told me the items were being provided under warranty. I got curious and read through the manual and no where does it even mention warranty.

What a great company. I have no idea what the warranty is, but after 12 years, I don't care. Leigh stands behind their products without question. I don't know what all they make, but I am planning on looking for something to buy just because they are such a great company.

If anyone ever wonders which dovetail jig to buy, and there are many out there, there is only one answer - the Leigh jig.

Note - I don't work for Leigh, don't sell their products, have no association with them at all. I just wanted to pass on my experience with them.
    Last edited by Mark Blatter; 02-20-2017 at 8:07 PM. Reason: Misspelled word

Always good to hear stories of good customer service. I havent bought a dovetail jig yet as I havent had project come up that required a bunch of them, but when I do I wouldnt look anywhere else other than Leigh. They are the tried and true.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Good to hear....They are good company
    Jerry

Thank you for posting this, I always like reading about the good companies out there.

I couldn't agree more about Leigh's outstanding customer service. I had a problem with my 24" model, which I'd purchased 15 years earlier, and they shipped me the required parts, free, including the shipping.

They don't come any better than Leigh.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

I agree. Leigh is one of the best companies that I have ever done business with. Their products do everything that they say they will, and their customer service backs it up should anything ever go wrong with anything that they have sold. Most other companies should follow their customer service methods.

Charley

I bought a D3 not too long ago and made the upgrades to D4 specs. I had some problems using the jig and called to see if anyone could give me some guidance. I actually got someone on the phone that knew what they were talking about (and spoke English as a first language), and they had me going in short order. Leigh knows how do to customer service.

Wayne

Woodworkers and woodworking companies seem very eager to do the right thing. One nice thing about being a woodworker. I have thought about a Leigh jig, this puts them higher on my list...

Great post, not enough time spent telling our positive stories, thanks!! I guess that is why I like this site ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    We all get frustrated at times with quality of products, service and how many tools have been sent off shore for manufacturing. I cuss out the Borgs, and other companies daily. Today, instead of complaining, I thought I would offer up an experience I had this morning with Leigh Jigs.

I bought a D4R in 2005 because I was making some cedar chests that were 24" tall, a few of them, for my daughters. I simply wasn't inclined to cut 8 feet of dovetails by hand, times the number I was building. The jig worked great and I got them all made. I have used the jig off and on over the past 12 years, mostly for making drawers. I had a frustration now and then, one about five years ago when the fingers wouldn't stay in place. I called Leigh and they shipped me a full set of new fingers with the required parts, at no charge. Simply told me it was under warranty. I said 'Thank you' and thought what a great company.

This past Saturday I am again making a bunch of drawers so pulled out the jig. About 10 minutes into setting up and testing, the left side knob that tightens the life / hold for the finger bar froze up. I had just loosened it to raise the bar, but when I tried to tighten it back up, it simply would not turn. I moved it a bit eventually using a set of adjustable grips, but then it froze up completely and would not turn at all.

I took a couple of photos and sent them to Leigh on Saturday, then called them this morning. Two things that amazed me.

1) The gal that answered the phone didn't transfer me to anyone. She asked which product, and what the issue was, and for the serial number. I told her all the info and she then said "Oh, I was just looking at your email, but hadn't had a chance to call you." She clarified a couple of things, then told me that she would send me both the left and right side bars, the end pieces of the jig itself since the frozen one was locked in place so could not be used, two new style knobs, etc. Everything I would need to get back up and running. And this was the person who answered the phone call!

2) I fully expected to pay for the parts as it has been 12 years since I bought the jig. She told me no charge, not even for shipping. I should have the replacement parts in about a week. Again no charge to me at all! She told me the items were being provided under warranty. I got curious and read through the manual and no where does it even mention warranty.

What a great company. I have no idea what the warranty is, but after 12 years, I don't care. Leigh stands behind their products without question. I don't know what all they make, but I am planning on looking for something to buy just because they are such a great company.

If anyone ever wonders which dovetail jig to buy, and there are many out there, there is only one answer - the Leigh jig.

Note - I don't work for Leigh, don't sell their products, have no association with them at all. I just wanted to pass on my experience with them.

I had a similar experience with those fine folks. I was having finger movement because I did not read the manual and had over-torqued the screws in the older design that was more susceptible to damage from stupid users who do not follow instructions.

Once it was politely pointed out that user error was the source of my problems I asked how to get replacement screws/nuts to fix what i broke - their response was "tell us your address and we will send you a set - no charge"

jig was several years old and the problem was 100% user error - they fixed it on their dime - as a result they bought a customer for life

I just hope they break even

Great company-great products, great service. For sure! I bought a used D1258R via Craigslist a couple of years ago and have had relatively pleasurable experiences ordering replacement parts, the upgrade kit that brings it up-to-date with the DR4 Pro, and a few related accessories. In all cases, the assist I received via email and over the phone was prompt and helpful. After so many years of being little more than a number, it almost feels odd being treated so well.

Wynn Environmental (aftermarket DC filters) is another similar business.

Leigh is a great company and makes a great dovetail jig. I have one that was purchased back in the 90's and it works great even today.

Red
    RED