Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Own a Good Quality Home "Weather Station?"

Anyone Own a Good Quality Home "Weather Station?"

I am looking for a "weather station" for the home that includes wind speed. Do any of you own such a weather station? We live at the top of a hill with frequent high winds and it would be nice to see what our speeds really are as opposed to the city forecasters' reports.

Blog Entries
    Smart phone

I have one of these.
    https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Weath...644287&sr=1-13
    Piece of junk. The thermometer runs very high in the sun (the cooling fan makes noise but doesn't affect the temperature) and high winds read 10 or 15 mph below reality.

I would trade up to Lon's Davis, but it gets plenty of bad reviews also.

Collectively, the family has two Vues and one Pro. The two Vues have been trouble free over 4 years. The Pro is on a remote farm and its rain gauge is off at times for an unknown reason. The two Vues are interfaced to Weather Underground so can be monitored anywhere there is internet service. The Pro, in a remote location, is linked to a satellite monitoring system. Of course, we would like to upgrade but it is cost vs value.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I have the Davis Vantage Pro. It's OK but hardly professional. Lots of plastic parts that do not age gracefully in the hot desert sun. The rain gauge is nearly useless, it is so far off, but I may have damaged it when I was cleaning the unit up while replacing the fan on the temp/humidity sensor. Most parts are replaceable and that is nice. Internet has micro climate reporting from NAOO and the Davis usually agrees pretty well on temp, humidity, and pressure. My wind speed indicator probably is not high enough to get good reading so it is usually reading lower than NAOO. It also logs all the weather data every 15 minutes on a laptop I keep connected to it.

Blog Entries
    Also check out lascrosse technology.
    they have a wide range of options

Get the weather underground app and see if someone else has one nearby. Free.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Get the weather underground app and see if someone else has one nearby. Free.
    Hey! You stole my solution 😀
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

When I see Weather underground I think of the militants that caused trouble at Kent State

I don't have the Accurite weather station but I do have the wireless Accurite temperature / humidity sensors. I have found them to be very reliable and use them for remote monitoring of temperature in three zones and have been very happy with them. I suspect that sometimes things go wrong with all types of equipment and would question if those issues weren't successfully resolved by the manufacturers / Amazon in particular.

Pat, how do you avoid cross interference from the Accurite if you hav more than one wireless unit? Is there a code or something on the units to prevent getting 2 units on the same frequency?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    The thermometer runs very high in the sun (the cooling fan makes noise but doesn't affect the temperature)
    Don't mount it in the sun. It goes in the shade.

We were at the N.C. Outer Banks in Sep. All the houses have them on the roof. None of them are mounted where you would get an accurate reading.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

After reading your opinions as well as the reviews of stations online, I will just get the free application from Weather Underground. It won't tell the wind speed or rain totals on the hill, but it sounds like there aren't any decent ones available to do it. Perhaps this is one of those things that will improve with technology.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    When I see Weather underground I think of the militants that caused trouble at Kent State
    I get your point, but the Weathermen weren't at Kent State. They did most of their vandalism in Chicago, Flint, San Luis Obispo and NYC. It was simply students protesting at Kent State.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"