Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Own a Good Quality Home "Weather Station?"

Guess it all depends what you want to spend.
    I looked at the Weather Underground web site and they list this weather station compatible with their website. Gets good reviews.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath...dp/B00PSV10UK/

I was kinda surprised at how many stations were located around me.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Wind speeds and directions for the US.
    http://hint.fm/wind/
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

We use Weather Underground all the time and we added a PWS recommended by them made by Ambient Weather. It was super-easy to set up and it's solar and wireless. Yes, we can use other stations nearby, but we wanted the fun to see how different the wind patterns blow in our area. We know it's not the ideal setup for wind because of the location of the station between the house & shop, as well as the neighbor's "wall of trees" ... but we do know that when that PWS receives a blast of wind, it's much worse higher up in the trees!

We are not super-serious about the weather. It's just for our fun as well as knowing what the weather conditions our farm critters are dealing with when we take off for a weekend. We didn't need or want all the bells and whistles that more scientific stations can offer. We view the data on our iphones or on the computer. We felt we didn't need the additional console.

We also have these great little gadgets that have a sensor outside and we can quickly see how cold it is before heading outside to deal with critters. We bought extras to give as gifts. Everyone we have given them to love them because they are so handy and simple.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Garner View Post
    Also check out lacrosse technology.
    they have a wide range of options
    I have a Lacrosse and have had issues with receiver location. Their estimates of distances from the remote to the receiver are overly optimistic, particularly for the rain gauge. They claim 200 feet, but I have problems with anything over 100 feet of separation. The rain gauge has to be within 25 feet. Also you will want to run lithium batteries in the remote and the receiver. I get about a year of service from a set of lithiums. I get only a month or two from regular alkaline batteries.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    When I see Weather underground I think of the militants that caused trouble at Kent State
    Hopefully we are not referring to what happened under Nixon.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-22-2017 at 1:27 AM.

[QUOTE=Shawn Pixley;2662135]I get your point, but the Weathermen weren't at Kent State. They did most of their vandalism in Chicago, Flint, San Luis Obispo and NYC. It was simply students protesting at Kent State.[/QUOTE

It was more than students protesting there were a lot of outsiders there. I was there were you