Thread: Porter-Cable 4212

Porter-Cable 4212

Wow after reading the glowing post on the Leigh D4 i'm almost afraid to ask this but....at over $400 vs a barely used 4212 at $100, what are the thoughts on the 4212? Found one local very lightly used for $100. So what are the thoughts? good? bad?

Thanks,

Dean

I had the 4216 for years before I stepped up the Leigh I think it is great. Be sure to download the supplemental manual. It shows how to do a lot of joints you would not have thought possible.

http://www.portercable.com/jigs/dove...ntalManual.pdf
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 02-21-2017 at 4:17 PM.

First of all, a brand new one costs $113 at HD. I wouldn't buy used to save $13.

I've had mine for about 8-10 years and used it on one project. It worked pretty good. One thing I forgot to plan for in my design was the layout of the DT's - there are set drawer heights because the dt's ridgid spacing. Kind of annoying to plan a project around a jig.

Since then I've used different router table or TS joints for drawers. I told myself after that project I'd learn to hand cut dt's if I wanted them on a project.

I guess I should sell that jig since it's just gathering dust!

Thanks for the responses. I think (have to verify with the seller) that it has the extra templates. Amazon has it for something like $150 new.

I've got a 4216 (3 templates)--used it and liked it, but have been doing DT's on Incra router system. Would be willing to sell it, but just checked for a guy and it was about $45 to ship from NW Indiana to Los Angeles. For me to get $100, it would have cost him $145--about $30 less than new. Shipping is a killer.

If OP is looking at the 4216, in good shape with bits and no missing parts--$100 picked up would be all right compared to new.
    earl

Dean,

I chose the 4216 kit mainly because of its simplicity. Variable spacing was/is not important to me for situations where I would use a jig. When I want unique dovetail sizes or spacing I cut them by hand or a combination of hand and power saws. I don't cut DT often enough to be good at it, so the Veritas saw guide is a big help for hand-cutting.

The 4216 is completely satisfactory. You do need to plan the joint carefully, as Matt Day noted above, but its not been an issue for me.

Doug