Thread: PM 27S 5HP Shaper gloat and questions

PM 27S 5HP Shaper gloat and questions

Hello all!
    Never been much of a gloater but I know how everyone likes hearing about 'new' tools....I found a late model (2007-ish?) PM 27S 5hp shaper that to my knowledge and after inspection has probably never even been turned on! Shipping grease and plastic were still on table and there was no power cord attached nor any indication that there ever was due to the knockouts never being removed. It is brand new!

It has, as far as I can tell, the non-interchangeable 1-1/4" spindle mounted. No other spindles came with the machine. I was wondering if it was worth it to buy the other spindles. What spindle sizes do you use the most?
    The table top is not tapped for any mounting of a power feeder...I assume this isn't a problem, I just thought the newest models had that. I would like to get a power feeder but not sure what size or brand. Any help there is appreciated.

So I am looking forward to learning how to use this machine and hopefully open new doors to my woodworking with it. Any information you can share to help me would be great...where to get knives, accessories, tips etc.

Thanks!
    Nick

PM_27S.jpg
    PM_27S_1.jpg

I had a couple super 27's, bigger table was the main difference, 2 speeds.

They are a pretty good machine. My only complaint, is with any amount of somewhat heavy use, it eats bearings about once a year.
    They are just small cheaper bearings.

Stick with the 1 1/4" spindle. Lots of tooling everywhere.

I usually run a 3 wheel feeder, my festo's are my favorites. 10 to 120 fpm.

The old Elu are pretty nice too. A noninterchangeable spindle is much stronger in that type of machine so while inconvenient, it is a plus as the quill and bearings are not that large as shapers go. Dave