Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You know that you've got a neander problem, when...

I don't have a neander problem, I just like to fettle around!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    When listening to music in your shop is so important to you, it pushes you to using hand tools so you can hear it.
    Drowning out the Beatles with a router is just wrong.
    Drowning out the sound of a finely tuned plane taking a shaving is just wrong.

When you can no longer see the top of your table saw because it is so covered up in stuff you use to restore planes and saws, and with parts of to too many planes and saws in too many stages of restoration.

When someone sees you use a plane, and you discover that they have never actually seen a plane used before in real life and when they ask "what type of plane is that?", and you answer: " its a Stanley Bailey #6 type 11 with a sweet heart iron sharpened at a 28 degree bevel."

When you're looking for types of planes that you didn't even know existed a year or two ago, and even if you have never used that type of plane in the past now wonder how you are going to get along without it for now.

When you are looking at back saws on that auctions site and find yourself thinking about sending a note to the seller asking "how many thousandth thick is the blade?"

When the price of a tool on the auction site is high and you know it is so high because you are primarily bidding against people who want to COLLECT what you want to buy, and you want to buy it to USE it.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 02-23-2017 at 8:58 PM.

When you walk into antique malls and ask if they have any booths that specialize in hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Drowning out the sound of a finely tuned plane taking a shaving is just wrong.
    You're getting it all wrong, man. The idea is to take your shavings in tempo with the music. Your plane is an instrument. Join the band.
    It works really well with the beginning intro to Come Together and most Pink Floyd songs.

You can become a background drummer whilst chopping out dovetail waste too, Ringo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    When you walk into antique malls and ask if they have any booths that specialize in hand tools.
    That is one very helpful habit in finding so many old hand tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Jim,

Your message shows that it was posted at 2:45 AM central standard time. I assume you posted just before midnight since you are in Washington State.

My wife and I visited Vancouver, White Horse, Denali, and just touched Washington State. This was two years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

I prefer Galveston County in the Winter though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Jim,

Your message shows that it was posted at 2:45 AM central standard time. I assume you posted just before midnight since you are in Washington State.

My wife and I visited Vancouver, White Horse, Denali, and just touched Washington State. This was two years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

I prefer Galveston County in the Winter though.
    I think there is a bit of error in the time clock of the Creek. My screen shows my post as going in at 10:45pm Pacific Standard time.

I am not much for snow, but I like the serenity rural living offers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You know it is bad...

When out of a Rust Hunt..you can smell the rust from the curb when going to a yard sale

When you just realized the "Bronze Age" does NOT refer to hand planes....

When the phrase "boarding a plane" sounds bass ackwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    When the phrase "boarding a plane" sounds bass ackwards.
    Hehe. Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Guilty as charged.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

you know when the Mrs asks when your going to stop making tools to make things, and actually make something

When most of your tool purchases are not about something you NEED. You just want to have it ...

When you cut mortises with a twybil, trim tenons with a hatchet and your favorite chisels are bronze.
    Jim