Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You know that you've got a neander problem, when...

...if you find random nicks and cuts on your fingers and can't remember how you got them

...if you'd pay more for a hand saw than a circular saw

...if instead of measuring your inseam and then buying a pair of pants, you prefer to buy them slightly larger and then shrink them in the washer a couple times until they fit just perfectly.

... if you sign documents with a knife instead of a pen because the line's too fat.

...if you know why your butts are not firmer.

...if you know that relieving gas and getting a board flat can both be called 'passing wind'.

You...when LN is a tool company, not a railroad, and you can spell said company correctly w/out looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    You know you've got a neander problem, when someone says "planer knives" and you say "You mean irons, right?"
    Hey wait, I resemble that. Does it count if it's meant ironically? :-)

When you pause NCIS to point out Gibbs's hand tool faux pas to your lovely wife who makes a valiant effort to humor you without rolling her eyes. . . .
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

Blog Entries
    When you convert the spare bedroom to a workshop.

When you refer to your power tools as "electron killers."

When you find yourself woodworking by candle because you like the ambiance.

When you own more sharpening gear than you own actual tools that need sharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    When you refer to your power tools as "electron killers."
    So that's not technically correct as the electrons merely flow from high potential to low. Maybe "electron de-potentiators"? We might be able to work entropy in there too. That's why the electrons flow, after all.

You know you have an engineering problem if you feel obliged to correct law-of-physics violations in other peoples' humor...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    ...if you find random nicks and cuts on your fingers and can't remember how you got them

...if you know that relieving gas and getting a board flat can both be called 'passing wind'.
    I learned something new today. Thanks Prashun!

...when you make your own 1/4" dowels to be sure the grain runs straight.
    ...when you swing by the lumber department at HD to see if by chance a really nice board snuck into the racks.
    ...when, based on the task at hand, you differentiate between a single and double bevel chefs knife in the kitchen.
    ...when you finish a project, know all the mistakes, understand all the recoveries and are all the more able to enjoy the fact that you made it by hand.

Dudes! I totally have done all of the above (except for the girlfriend part).

I never quite understood why females would get all excited when I told then that I appreciated LV stuff a lot.
    Their handbags were never as well made as my planes...not even close!

I started to realize that I had a problem when I got my third router plane, and thought that it was totally worth it.
    Even though I realized that I would only use it maybe a handful of times for guitar soundboard inlay, the sheer pleasure of the well machined brass and steel over good European spruce...the small stack of Japanese hand planes despite that fact that I still need to set most of them up (sorry Stan)....lusting after a second set of Japanese chisels even though I have one good set (thanks, Stan!)...finding myself staring at the Lie Nielson website instead of beer.

Ugh. I have a problem.

The only woodworking that I've been doing recently is whittling a toy sailboat for my accountant's helper...in between paperwork, notes, labwork, and more taxes.
    Aaargh!

Oh, and FWIW, I spent more on a few Disstons than my wobbly Rockler tablesaw.
    I'm saving up for a sawstop, since I can't afford to lose digits....meh, prefer japanese handsaws though.

...When you stop explaining, to folks that you meet, what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    When you own more sharpening gear than you own actual tools that need sharpening.
    I think we may have a winner here....

... When you recognize Veritas tools in episodes of ‘The Artful Detective / Murdoch Mysteries’.

nwnbaii.jpg

... when you lament that nobody makes a 1 million grit stone.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

When you are really a turner but have more hand tools than most flat boarders.

When you go on vacation to Maine and make a special side trip to the Lie-Nielsen store/factory and have to go early enough to take the tour because you missed it the last time, and you take your wife who doesn't really want to go but enjoys it so much that she wants you to buy more of their tools right then and there.

When you have more handsaws than you will probably ever have time to clean and sharpen in your lifetime.

When you go to the LV display at woodworking shows just to play with the toys because you don't really need anything (want is a different story), but you want to see how all the different things feel and work-just in case you can't live without them.

When most of your re-usable grocery bags are from Lee Valley.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

This happened to me- Start giggling when you find that the murder weapon in a mystery was a wood chisel.