Thread: Gloat! Bowl blank processing tool! :)

Gloat! Bowl blank processing tool! :)

Have been wanting to upgrade from my under powered Ridgid 14" bandsaw for a long time. Last friday a friend and I drove to Chicago to pick up this beauty!

16" Laguna with 3hp 220v motor about 9yrs old (when they were made in Europe). Current new 16" Laguna 3hp runs $3400 or so and are made in China. But, I was lucky enough to buy this for $765. When I was getting ready to leave the guy stopped us and said he forgot something. He came back out with a brand new in the package Timberwolf 3/4" wide blade.

Got it wired up on sunday afternoon and ran an 10" thick Ash 1/2 log section through it and it cut without bogging down. Could never do that with the Ridgid 14" 1hp saw.

I'm a happy guy!!

Ricc
    Laguna.jpg

2. Nice gloat........good for you!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Congrats! Nice bandsaw!! It will serve you well. I have the LT16 just prior to that model...so mine's even older but running still today.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have had my 16HD for 10 or so years. Great saw. I would put half a log section on, flat side down, cut the end square, then stand it on end to cut parallel sides to the blank. Huge time saver. You do get hair balls in the bottom of the saw.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Have been wanting to upgrade from my under powered Ridgid 14" bandsaw for a long time. Last friday a friend and I drove to Chicago to pick up this beauty!

16" Laguna with 3hp 220v motor about 9yrs old (when they were made in Europe). Current new 16" Laguna 3hp runs $3400 or so and are made in China. But, I was lucky enough to buy this for $765. When I was getting ready to leave the guy stopped us and said he forgot something. He came back out with a brand new in the package Timberwolf 3/4" wide blade.

Got it wired up on sunday afternoon and ran an 10" thick Ash 1/2 log section through it and it cut without bogging down. Could never do that with the Ridgid 14" 1hp saw.

I'm a happy guy!!

Ricc
    Laguna.jpg

Nice pickup! FYI, the current $3500 Laguna 16" saw (LT16 HD) is made in Italy by ACM (just like yours was) and comes with a 5hp motor. The previous generation 16" Asian saw was the LT 16 3000 and sold for around $2000, they just released the new Asian 18BX and no longer import an Asian 16" saw.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Congrats on such a great gloat! Can't blame you for bragging!!
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Love my Laguna saw after using several smaller on and off shore models for years while I worked as a boatbuilder and joiner. One thing I noticed when I moved up was that the saw is quite a bit more powerful and as such could quite easily spin a log out of control if I tried to cross cut a round. Please build or buy a sled if you are tempted to cut smaller rounds across the grain or even if you plan to slab pieces cut with the grain.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

"5,306 miles from where the greatest things with 4 wheels are born
    5,328 miles from where the greatest things with 2 wheels are born
    5,301 miles from where the greatest things with 2 wheels and a band are born
    Seems to be more than a coincidence to me..."

Van, you forgot to include where the greatest things to turn wood on are born :-D Should be pretty close to the same distance.

congrats, you can order blades directly from timber wolf and they have ones specific for greenwood if applicable.

Rick,
    For blades, I use the Lennox Diemaster Bimetal blades, 1 1/4 inch wide, and teeth at 3/4 inch apart. I wouldn't think the 3 hp motor would have problems with that blade, but any local saw shop that welds them up for you could probably tell you. I only use my Laguna for cutting sides parallel. I have a smaller saw for cutting circles, with a 1/2 inch blade. I do have a video of that up on You Tube.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    "5,306 miles from where the greatest things with 4 wheels are born
    5,328 miles from where the greatest things with 2 wheels are born
    5,301 miles from where the greatest things with 2 wheels and a band are born
    Seems to be more than a coincidence to me..."

Van, you forgot to include where the greatest things to turn wood on are born :-D Should be pretty close to the same distance.
    Barneveld WI and Stratford ON are about 950 and 1100 miles respectively but adding that sorta ruins the Italian theme.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks everyone or the comments!. Reed I will check your youtube video out. I will check again on Diemaster blades you suggested, but the last time I checked locally (about 2yrs ago) no one carried that brand. They only carried regular blade stock for wood.

Ricc