Thread: Non-woven abrasive pads - where to buy?

Non-woven abrasive pads - where to buy?

I have always had a hard time finding abrasive pads (scotch-brite, etc.) in any kind of economical quantity. I find them very useful for machine cleaning, rubbing out finishes, applying wax, etc.

Today I decided that I was going to order some in bulk so I wouldn't have to waste time searching for them anymore. This turned out to be harder than I thought, although I did ultimately find a place - dgisupply.com. I have no experience with this company but their prices seem good and I found them through a link from the 3M site. They have the four types of pads I use, in bulk, which is more than I could find anywhere else.

The other problem I have is that I can never remember which color pad is coarse, fine, etc. Today I found a brochure from 3M that explains all of it. Apparently I use the 744 series (7445, 7446, 7447, 7448), which I think are what most of us use, but there are plenty of others. Here is a link to the brochure on 3M's site.

I hope this helps save others some time. Where do you get your abrasive pads?

Brian, you might try looking for them at an auto refinishing/paint supply store. They usually carry that sort of item along with sandpaper, etc. Google your area for auto paint supplies. You might find what you are looking for.

I've always bought them from Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Bri...ywords=3m+7447 $16 for a box of 20. Is DGI cheaper?

Woodworkers Supply has some, and they can be bought individually.
    http://woodworker.com/6x9-scotch-bri...e&searchmode=2

That is the type of thing I keep in my Zoro cart and buy when they have 25% or 30% off sales.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I've always bought them from Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Bri...ywords=3m+7447 $16 for a box of 20. Is DGI cheaper?
    I saw those on Amazon as well. That is a good price - better than DGI. However, the others I want are more expensive by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    That is the type of thing I keep in my Zoro cart and buy when they have 25% or 30% off sales.
    Thanks, Van. I'd never heard of Zoro before but I just added it to my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    Thanks, Van. I'd never heard of Zoro before but I just added it to my favorites.
    Two keys with Zoro never pay full price, sign up for their email and you get % off coupons regularly, some show up on the site but some don't. I get 20-25% off coupons at least once a month then a 30% off every few months. I just add things to the cart I don't need right away and when I get a coupon I just go and order whats in the cart, now often the coupons require you spend a couple hundred bucks to get the best discount so sometimes I need to add stuff or just wait until the next coupon. The second thing is the site is hard to browse it has so much stuff on it you sorta need to know what you are looking for, over time I have worked through most of the nooks and crannies and know what they carry. I buy lots of hand (mechanic type) tools from them and all manner of other things. When on sale they have the best prices on Wiha, Wera, Knipex and other European hand tools.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    during black friday they had Every thing 30% off including things like sawstop . they also have the worst search engine ever known to man kind so if u don't find something keep trying.