Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many are old rec.woodworking wood workers?

Blog Entries

How many are old rec.woodworking wood workers?

The subject line states the question. The group's name came up in another string.

I followed the news group for years and thoroughly enjoyed it. I learned a lot about woodworking following and reading that group?

No reason for this post other than curiosity.

I hung out there for quite a few years; wasn't real active but posted now and then. Learned a lot!

I mentioned in the other thread that I was a member as well. Rec Woodworking, Oldtools list serve, and Badger Pond. These go back a bit.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Derek, your post is what brought it to mind.

I followed the news group religiously.

I was. It was there I met Paddy O'Deen

I was there for years before I switched to sawmillcreek. I don't miss the trolling and flaming. I much prefer the polite company here.

I found the wreck within a short time of getting online. Those were some good times.

JOAT hangs on the router forum these days. Kieth Bohn (duke of urls at the wreck) set up shop at old woodworking machines .com. he's still there. Lots of us got started at rec.ww and are all over the internets enjoying community of craftsmanship.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-27-2017 at 10:57 AM.

I followed the wreck pretty closely and posted there a lot. It would have been between 1997 and 2004. I remember Keith Bohn, Paddy O'Deen, John Gunterman, Charlie DIY, Doug Stowe and many others. It was a good time. I learned a lot about finishing from Jim McNamara in New Mexico who is unbelievably knowledgeable. Another friend and finishing guru was Paul Radovanic, RIP.

I believe the thing about referring to Home Depot as The Borg was started there, by a guy who posted under the name of Eddie Munster who was into Star Trek. Who would have known that Borg name would take on a life of its own.

When the first plane hit the WTC in 2001, I found out about it on rec.ww when someone posted it happened moments after it did. Ran to the TV and turned it on to see the live coverage of the second plane hit and then the collapse. Crazy

Blog Entries
    I was there. Unfortunately, didn't get a T-shirt.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Is it wrong to say that I miss usenet? The old / original usenet before the "Eternal September"?

Thanks for raising the question, this really brought back some memories.

Turning it back to the Neander world, there was a guy named Steve Knight who was active on rec.woodworking in those days and sold wood hand planes that he made out of various exotics. One of the features was the massive plane irons he used, quite a bit thicker than Hock irons. I've wondered what ever happened to him, and whether he still makes hand planes. His knight-toolworks domain is inactive. Anyone know what's become of him?

I've wondered what happened to Steve K as well. He used to be active both here and WoodCentral but hasn't been on either in quite some time. I know his planes are still well regarded.

I remember reading it a lot, I don't recall posting very much. I left when Wayne Miller opened the doors at Badger Pond.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I met Patrick Leach on Rec.WW and was part of the crew that moved to the oldtools list. I once even met Patrick Olguin when he stopped by the Independence ToolWorks in upstate New York with TRB in tow. I miss those guys, I keep in touch with Patrick Leach and a few others, but wonder what happened to many of the others like Guntherman, etc. I do miss the old days.