Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball Changing Important Rule

I would use the computer to call balls and strikes. Some umpires are just jokes with the calls. I can deal with an occasional missed call but the way it is today is just not right.

How about eliminating all the breaks for tv commercials. It's got to be more than 14 seconds per game.

Quote Originally Posted by mark r johnson View Post
    How about eliminating all the breaks for tv commercials. It's got to be more than 14 seconds per game.
    I know - commercials are the big bucks. BUT... And now they've done it to hockey too. At least I can still really enjoy fútbol (er..soccer).
    Regards,
    Dick

since it IS about money, start charging slow players for 'delay of game'. Since computers are already keeping track of everything, have them track the batters and pitchers. The average time it should take for basic play should be easy to figure out as a baseline. The slowpoke batters & pitchers who scratch & burp & adjust & grind cleats & spit & wipe & basically fart around should be fined for slowing down the game. Have time limits for each 'interaction'. Add up the total time used divided by interactions. Go over the limit, charge 'em $500 per minute wasted. Players having money removed from their pockets will likely quit goofing around so much

And how about how the TV networks bombard the corners of the TV screen with their own commercials-- for the privilege of broadcasting the game (ahem), they should offer to cut their commercials in half to allow actual commercials to bombard the TV corners, which could offset each commercial break by 1:30 or so. Also, the broadcaster could just show their commercials during the commercials..
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Frankly, being the long time baseball fan that I am (became a fan in 1947) I think they should find ways to make the game longer!
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

At least this one isn't as dumb as the other idea they're testing in the minors this spring. During extra inning games, they're going to start every inning with a runner on second.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news...31c82tbm828cs4

Changing the intentional walk rule is silliness, and the commish is hitting this "speed up the game" thing too hard, IMO.

But it brings to mind an old story about Don Drysdale, who had a bit of a thing about hitting batters. His manager once signaled him from the dugout to put a guy on. Drysdale promptly hit the batter with the next pitch. When he went in between innings, his manager asked him why the hit batter? Drysdale said, "Hey, you wanted me to put the guy on, why waste four pitches when I can do it with one?"

Watch Dustin Pedroia at bat if you want to speed up the game. Basically everything he does in between pitches is complete nonsense, and should be removed from the game. He's a very good player, but I cannot stand to watch him at bat.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Abolish IBB: Unnecessary change.

Abolish DH: Necessary change.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    I am wondering who is it actually who wants the games to go faster?

As an occasional fan it doesn't bother me one bit that baseball is a slow moving game with excitement doled out in short intense doses.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I am wondering who is it actually who wants the games to go faster?

As an occasional fan it doesn't bother me one bit that baseball is a slow moving game with excitement doled out in short intense doses.

jtk
    Yeah, that seems me to be the point of the game. When I want non-stop action, I watch hockey. I love the contemplative nature of baseball -- it's one of the few respites we have from our modern breakneck pace. (EDIT: that and handplaning. )

Also, down with the DH. Anybody who watches NL ball on a regular basis knows how much the DH rule takes away from the game.
    Last edited by Phil Stone; 02-24-2017 at 5:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I would use the computer to call balls and strikes. Some umpires are just jokes with the calls. I can deal with an occasional missed call but the way it is today is just not right.
    I am a fan of PITCHf/x but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Now you see why I don't watch pro sports.
    NASCAR really messed it up this year, along with baseball.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I agree with you, Frank. The playoffs last year are a great example of bad ball and strike calls changing the course of games and, thereby, the series.

A pitcher could throw his best pitch on the outside corner but, if the umpire sees it differently (incorrectly), the result is reversed. On the other hand, a hitter could have the best eye in the league but, if the umpire doesn't, it doesn't do the hitter any good, with bad results.

I have written many letters to the commissioner to institute a computerized system to make the game fair and consistent but they'd rather institute stupid rules like suspending throwing pitches for an intentional walk.

As Mr. Cub said, "Let's play two."