Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rule Changes....What Would You Do?

Rule Changes....What Would You Do?

So, playing off the MLB thread about changing the rules to the intentional walk, what rule changes would you make if given complete control to any sport? For example below are two (or more) changes off the top of my head;

1. Golf - I would give every golfer, players only no fans in the gallery, noise makers to use while the competition is getting ready to hit a ball. No more of this pansy quiet time that is enforced. I would also put in place sharp shooters with paint ball guns to randomly shoot at the golfers. Make it a bit more challenging. You could go all the way and make golf a contact sport, but perhaps that would be taking it too far.

2. Add a four point shot to the NBA. Call it at half court. Four points if you make it, and maybe even you get the ball back as well. They also need to get rid of hand-check rule. They have made the game like touch football. I still remember watching the hard checks from the 80s. Finally, make all free throws 1 + 1. If you miss the first, you are done. Puts a bit more emphasis on shooting ability.

How about the rest of you, what would you change?

I would eliminate any rule changes made after 1961 for baseball, and after 1971 for football. Golf should never have its rules tampered with, in fact, they need to make the players play by the rules in tournaments where many special rule exemptions are routinely made. Basketball should eliminate the three point filed goal entirely and hockey should have auto ejection for any spearing, butt ending, cross-checking to the neck or above, drawing of blood for any reason, and fighting.

Blog Entries
    I would simply enforce the rules that exist. Most players in the NBA routinely travel when making shots. Any temper tantrums should be cause for ejection and a second offense should result in a several game suspension without pay.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I would eliminate any rule changes made after 1961 for baseball, and after 1971 for football. Golf should never have its rules tampered with, in fact, they need to make the players play by the rules in tournaments where many special rule exemptions are routinely made. Basketball should eliminate the three point filed goal entirely and hockey should have auto ejection for any spearing, butt ending, cross-checking to the neck or above, drawing of blood for any reason, and fighting.

I'm not a hockey fan by any means but if they put in auto ejection for fighting there would be nobody left on the ice after 10 minutes except for the goalies.....and then they would probably go at it!!

Blog Entries
    I don't care for the designated hitter in MLB.

I like the strategy the national league teams have to deal with with the pitchers batting.

Go Nats!

PHM

I think I'll go over to a golf forum where people don't make uninformed comments about woodworking.

Get rid of the DH. The worst idea in any sport, ever.

I'd consider instituting a one strike penalty for adjusting your batting gloves more than once.

I'm not sure it would be considered a "rule change" but something to improve football.

Go back to leather helmets and minuscule cloth and leather pads.

The current massive armor that the players wear has created a game played by tanks. Injuries would probably go down as no idiot would spear with the top of his head in a leather helmet (not more than once anyway). They'd be more careful with blocking and tackling if not protected by massive shoulder pads, thigh pads, helmets with airbags in them and every other appendage and area of the body protected by Kevlar armor. It would go back to a game of movement rather than "bash and smash".
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

I think the whole "silence when the Prima Donna golfer is hitting the ball" rule is ridiculous. Anyone who tries to tell me that hitting a golfball is harder than hitting a fastball or catching a pass on a sideline with a 270 lb linebacker bearing down on you while the crowd roars is full of crap.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    If the NFL is really serious about preventing head injuries, maybe they could change the penalty rules for really egregious infractions. Allow the team to 'bank' the yards and then spend them ad-hoc. For instance, team A commits a personal foul and the official chooses to invoke the banking rule. Team B may take all 15 yards immediately or 'bank' them for later use. On a later play in the same half, Team B can throw a special flag indicating that they would like to move the ball some number of yards.

The yards can be used offensively. So they are at 4th and 1, they move the ball a yard.

The yards could be used defensively. If Team A is just inside FG range, Team B can back them up and make the FG harder.

If both teams have banked yards, they can be used against each other. Rules for notifying the officials of the desire to use banked yards would be the same as for time out or challenges.

What they can't do is use banked yards to invalidate an event. So if Team A makes a touchdown, Team B can't back them up and invalidate the TD.

I would be fascinated to know how that would change the dynamics of the game. My feeling is that the game would become much more polite because no one would want this 'nuclear option' penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I'm not a hockey fan by any means but if they put in auto ejection for fighting there would be nobody left on the ice after 10 minutes except for the goalies.....and then they would probably go at it!!
    After the first couple ejections, they would stop fighting. Problem solved; except the people who come to see fights wouldn't come. Oh well.

I'd like to see them ban spitting in baseball.

And thank you Lee, I always thought they routinely travel, but figured I misunderstood the rule somehow.

Improving hocky is easy.
    2 pucks!

Put the student back in student-athlete in college sports.
    In basketball, you make a basket you get 1 point times a function of your GPA or year in school as you progress to your degree. So a “one and done” player who rarely attends class…. versus…. a senior with a GPA of 3.9. Who do you play in the closing seconds?
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I would like more modern attire to be acceptable under the rules for equestrian competition. (I don't watch baseball, basketball, hockey or even golf at this point and football...some PSU games and, perhaps the Super Bowl)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wouldn't change a thing about golf. I love watching golf on TV. Especially the Masters.
    And I'm not even a golfer!