Thread: Finally figured it out

Blog Entries

Finally figured it out

Been running my laser thru USB. As my computer is in basement and I'm too cheap and lazy to run cable from my router up into attic and across and down into my basement, I've been using a wifi extender in the basement. And wifi dongle for the wifi connection at the computer. But USB connection is slow. Way slow as compared to Ethernet. But windows 10........ If I connect the lase to the Ethernet, either with or without a switch, win10 randomly cuts off internet. Thinks Ethernet should have internet, when it plainly doesn't.

I finally searched around and found I could change setting to make computer always look for internet thru wifi and never at Ethernet. But it sure wasn't easy! Should be easy, but not! But internet works and so does laser! Now i cna connect fiber through USB or Ethernet ( if that is option).
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I was never bothered by the slower USB speed, UNTIL I tried Ethernet. Oooh, instant! I would not want to go back.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've sent a few files that took 20 odd seconds USB. I took one and copied it seven times and then sent Ethernet. Took less than 2......
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

I too use wireless connected to a USB in my basement shop. As in your case, there just isn't a good way to get a connection from the router to my shop. After the Win10 upgrade I would fight dropped connections daily. I can't remember for sure, but I changed something to do with the USB devices & now I no longer have dropped connections. Just as you said too, it wasn't easy to find a workable solution.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 02-23-2017 at 9:54 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries
    I know that no one will find it here, but you go to control panel, network and internet, network connections. Then you change settings in both Ethernet and the WiFi. So for Wifi you then right click properties, box opens and then go down and click on (select)Internet Protocol version 4 TCP/IPv4) and then click Properties. Another box opens and in lower right click on Advanced.
    Unclick the Automatic metric and enter a number. If you want your system to look for WiFi first (and really only) put in low number for Interface metric(I put in 5).
    Then ok and close the last tab and pick Internet protocol version 6 and do the same. Then close Wifi propterties and select Ethernet.

Right click and select properties, select IPV4 and click Properties and then click advanced and on next box unclick automatic metric an dput in higher number (I used 35) for Interface metric and ok.
    Repeat for IPV6.

IF you want Ethernet always reverse numbers!
    Maybe this will help someone else!
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

There are also settings for USB ports that can put them to sleep for a power saving mode. This was either discussed here or over on one of the 3D printer forums. You need to go to the Properties area of that port to check and see.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10