Thread: pinning beadlock dowels

pinning beadlock dowels

I'm using bead lock dowels in building a chair. I am attached the back leg (which goes up to form the back also) to the seat frame. I'm concerned that the bead lock system may need additional insurance against failure. What do you think about pinning the bead lock dowel with another common dowel (3/8") installed on each side of the bead lock connection?

Given that beadlock dowel is essentially a loose tenon system, the extra pinning should not be necessary. Just make sure the joint is a good firm fit and that you use a good quality glue. Cheers

I used a Beadlock for several years, mostly to make chairs and I never pinned them, but I see no reason why you can't do it if it will make you more confident in your joinery.

I have since gone on to other means of making M&T joints, so I haven't used my Beadlock original system in years, but I still have it and have loaned it out a few times to newer woodworker friends who have also had good luck with it. One even bought his own Beadlock system after trying mine out. In the time that I was using it I made only one modification to it. I filed the coating off of the alignment mark and then used a black permanent marker to color it, to make it easier to align to my positioning marks. It was a significant improvement.

Charley

When I laminate strips of wood, I have always used DAP Plastic Resin Glue and it has produced excellent results. Some say, it is better that Titebond III. I haved not used it on dowels or on bead lock. Does anyone have any comments regarding these two glues. Thanks for you responses.