Thread: Mortise Pal Users - Queston

Mortise Pal Users - Queston

I am using my Mortise Pal for the first time on a current project. I purchased the router bits, the guide bushing, and some tenon stock from Mortise Pal. I also purchased just about all the templates they offered, the directions say that if you are using Mortise Pal tenon stock to use the 1" template which I am using.

I have cut my first mortises and the tenon stock seems to fit looser than I would have expected, is this normal or should I make up some of my own tenon stock for a snug fit?

Thanks
    Last edited by George Bokros; 02-23-2017 at 8:03 AM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

UPDATE

The first test mortise I cut was in some scrap and I did not have the template snapped down correctly and the tenon was sloppy in the mortise. The ones I cut in the project pieces are fine.
    George

Wow you've held off on using that for a while! Theyve been out of business for years now! Cool that you bought the whole set though. Nice setup to have in the toolbox.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Bought it for the project I am working on now. My job got in the way then the home improvement projects took over when I retired. I told the wife I wanted to fit it in this year so I am.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Wow you've held off on using that for a while! Theyve been out of business for years now! Cool that you bought the whole set though. Nice setup to have in the toolbox.
    Ha, I have one in a drawer that I still have never used! One of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Ha, I have one in a drawer that I still have never used! One of these days.
    I was just pokin fun! I had one too that I never used and then sold once the Domino came along. Still might pick up another if I run across a good deal I might pick up another just to keep around, just in case.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I think I bought it from someone here. It seems like a great tool, I just haven't had a need for mortises in anything yet.

Blog Entries
    I have not used my Mortise Pal in a while, but when I did, the results were tight good mortises. I bought mine used as well.

I tend to make mortise and tenon joints by hand. I can do it without having to set up a jig.

Blog Entries
    Interesting how we establish certain ways of doing things. I use the MP almost exclusively for M&T that are not part of the appearance like through-tenons. I use them on everything from a china hutch to a mirror frame.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Agreed Glenn. I wrestled with mortises for the longest time, trying to find my preferred method. One of those attempts was with the MP. I like it fine but once I bought the MP benchtop mortiser, I've never looked back. That's almost my exclusive mortising method now.

I'll bust out the MP one of these days.