Thread: Advice on a couple pieces of equipment please.

Advice on a couple pieces of equipment please.

Hello All,
    First off, thanks for all the great advice when I ask. This forum has been an abundance of great info when I need it. And being a newbie, I need a LOT! So thank you. I have a fixed/low budget so I cannot spend a lot.

I am in the market for a belt/disc combo sander. I saw a thread on here that many people liked the Ridgid oscillating edge sander. But that was several years ago. After reading current reviews on it, it sounds like it is having a lot of problems and there are no parts to fix them. I saw a Rikon on sale right now, but it does not move up and down like the Ridgid.

I am also looking for a planer and saw on craigslist a 13" Woodtek for $275. I can't find much out about this brand but new they sell for $1,300. I don't know if I should spend $100 more and get a new Dewalt or Ridgid or if this brand is that good I should get it used.

Lastly I am looking for a jointer planer. Just for some small piece work when I need it. Would the benchtop Porter Cable be good enough for very small and light work?

I have tried several times to put pictures of my farm table I made with a maple top and walnut base but the pictures will not load for some reason. I'll continue to try.

THANK!!!
    Chuck

Get the Ridgid OSS/belt combo. It's great.

Tough call on the Woodtek as there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there on them. I'm guessing you mean the lunchbox style one? I'd look for a used 13" Dewalt dw734 - that's what I had and it worked great until I upgraded to a 15".

I wouldn't touch a bench top planer with a 10' pole. Get a used stationary one.