Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since I've been gone

Since I've been gone

Hi all. Sheesh, I've been gone a long time. But ya know...sometimes life just kicks you in the stomach. But we recover and move on hopefully.
    So I'm back. Sorry about that

During my absence, I did continue to turn any time I could. So I'll post a couple pics of some of it. Basically trying to improve my style and lock into something that was uniquely me.
    Lot's of lacquer consumed in the process (hic!....excuse me )

So I was feelin' kinda low and decided to concentrate on a project. I decided to enter a piece at the County Fair.
    Ended up with this Oak Burl, Walnut, and Cherry thing on a pedestal. I named it A Fair Piece. Won first place. It felt good.

FairPiece2.jpg

Here's a better picture of the body...Just better color
    FairPieceBody.jpg

And I continued to work on pieces as I had time....these are the basic theme.
    Group.jpg

I actually sold the one in the middle. I called it The Hershey Kiss cuz of that little walnut kiss in the center
    It felt good that someone was willing to part with hard-earned dough for it.
    Hershy2.jpg

Anyway...I wasn't really writing today to show off my work. Just wanted to say Hi....I kinda miss it around here.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Gorgeous stuff!!!!

3. Hi John! You do still have a recognized form.........had that piece that won the county fair been a thumbnail, and I did not know it was you that posted it, I would still have thought that it reminded me of piece I used to see from you. Tickled to have you posting again! Btw, it is totally cool here to show off your work, so Keep 'em coming!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

John - Welcome back!

Even though I was active on a few sites, I took a break from turning for a while. Did turn a few little things like snowmen just because they are fun and everyone likes them but no bowls or hollow forms. Sometimes you just have to take a break until the motivation comes back.

Nice work on everything and congrats on the 1st place win! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

John,
    Welcome back! Your stuff looks great and the ribbon is well deserved! I was just thinking about you the other day while cutting some spalted sycamore that found its way into my overloaded vehicle during a visit to the old log dump. Good Times!

Hi John! It's good to see you posting! You were missed!

Nice turnings BTW.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi John, ditto Ken's sentiment. Many of us have come and gone and returned. I am getting my second wind with woodworking and stopping into smc more frequently.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Howdy! Happy to see you out and about, and I'm happy to see you're still making stuff round as an excuse to spray some lacquer. Congrats on the ribbon and the sale... Well deserved on both accounts!

WHOAH! There is a blast from the past! Good to see you post again John. Nice looking stuff.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Geez ....what a nice welcome. Thanks everyone
    I hope to get back into full blown turning very soon. Had a little problem with my house burning down just after Christmas and lost power to the shop as a result. Probably restore power this weekend and the rebuilding will begin. Might head out and knock some rust off of the lathe.
    It's great to be back.
    ~john

Wow..incredible work.

I have fallen in love with the last one...thank you for showing these.

John, I appreciate you showing off your work. It inspires me to see beautiful turnings and wood combinations. I have to ask, the Hershey Kiss woods that you used. It is a remarkable work.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Welcome back. Beautiful stuff.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thanks much guys

That Hershey Kiss piece is comprised of a Maple body, Brazilian Rosewood lid and pedestal assembly, and the finial is Curly Maple and Walnut. The bead at the bottom is a core from the Maple body. It's finished in WOP.
    The Maple tree was a sapling planted outside my office at work 19 years ago. Over the years it invaded the sewage system and had to be cut down...very sad because I watched it grow. Got all the wood though!!
    ~john

Welcome back John, its good to see that you are active again. Sorry to hear about your house, I know it can be a devastating event that can take a long time to recover from the loss.

Keep on Turning John!!!