Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The amateurs guide to moving a 16" Jointer

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Now, if someone can tell me how to post pictures here with correct orientation? Have now idea why they end up all over the place??? Errrrrgh!

John, I had trouble with that and found if I rotate the pictures back and fourth once before posting that seems to do the trick. No idea why.

I would love to have a forklift but neither my wife or my HOA would go for that😜

Forklift, thats cheating

thats a nice beast never tried one but looks comfortable standing wise

yyy.jpeg

ghttty.jpg

After reading your adventures, John, I think it's a good thing UPS Freight said they wouldn't deliver this one on a lift gate truck. It really was a simple process to get it off the U-Haul truck. The beds on those things are only a little over 2' high, so pulling it down a ramp is pretty straight forward and safe. The skid never did slide on its own, I had to pull it the entire way.

John

That Northfield Jointer is awesome .. Love it ..

I'd caution against the use of cement blocks, as they are very weak - especially in the orientation you're showing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    I went through the same exercise a few months ago. I purchased a Northfield 16" jointer from a guy in Michigan. He had used two forklifts to load the nicely crated machine into an Old Dominion truck. I knew the crate was too long for the lift gate but OD said it could be delivered and off loaded using just a pallet jack and the lift gate? To make a very long story short, it took the driver, myself, two friends and two pallet jacks to offload the 2000# beast. I forgot to mention a chainsaw we used to trim and re trim the crate/pallet to get it on the lift gate while 1/4 of it was hanging off the gate.
    To get the jointer off the pallet, I used blocks, 6x6's, and a floor jack to lift then lower the jointer off the pallet onto my driveway. From there, I cut the 6x6's into 2' lengths and used them as risers for the pallet jack. Never touched the tables at any point of the move.
    Now sitting happy in her new home
    Attachment 354869Attachment 354870
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos