Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The amateurs guide to moving a 16" Jointer

The amateurs guide to moving a 16" Jointer

Who's the amateur you ask? Me. I've move a few pieces of equipment, some up to about 750 lbs., but this monster weighs over 1600 lbs.

The guy who sold it to my friend has the forklift you see, so it was a piece of cake for him to load it onto the UPS Freight truck I arranged to pick it up.

In preparation for it's arrival I installed an anchor point in my friends garage, a big D-ring bolted to a piece of 5/4 oak, bolted to the floor with 1/2" x 6" Tapcon screws.

The machine was supposed to be delivered via lift gate truck to my friends house. Yesterday, however, I got a call that said the machine was too long for them to get it onto the lift gate. I was afraid of that. OK, plan B. I rented a 10' U-haul truck and went to the freight terminal this morning to pick up the machine. They drove the machine down a ramp and loaded it at ground level using two forklifts. I'm not sure why they couldn't use a single forklift like when it was loaded, but it all worked out OK.

The skid and machine just about filled the bed of the truck between the wheel wells. Off I went to my friends house with no problems, about 15 miles away. I backed the truck up close to his garage shop, close enough that 8', 4x4's would reach to the floor. Then I built this little ramp from 4x4's screwed together, braced it to the ground at the bumper, and ratchet strapped it to the bumper of the truck. I backed my car up to the front of the truck and ran the winch cable under the truck, thru the ramp, and to a chain attached to my anchor point. I used a snatch block to run the cable back up to the skid.

Then it was just a matter of pulling the skid down the ramps, slowly, readjusting the attachment point of the snatch block on the chain when the cable end got close to jamming into it.

But it all went smoothly and I think the entire operation from the time I left home was only a couple of hours. And here is what he has.

It's a 16" Zefam. His little 8" Jet is looking mighty puny and nervous now. When my friend gets back from FL in the Spring we'll get it pulled off the pallet and into final position. Then it will be time to figure out how to hook up the VFD he bought to power the 3 phase motor that's in this beast. I have to say, it is a beautiful looking machine, and those planed tables are gorgeous.

All in all, it was a very simple process. Having the winch is what made it all possible. I suppose I could have used a come-along or chain fall, but that would have been a very slow process. But you use what you have and it's possible for even an amateur like me to move some pretty big stuff safely. So if you see a monster machine, don't shy away just because it's heavy. And in the end, if you can't move it yourself, there are plenty of people you can pay who do it all the time.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 02-23-2017 at 2:46 PM.

Sweet jointer. some Home Depots rent drop deck trailers which are great. I moved a 6500 lb lathe that broke two pallet jacks. Nothing worse than a machine starting to tip. The world seems to stop. Show a close up of the tables. the thick planed tables on the eastern Europe machines are impressive. Dave

What humility! You called yourself an amateur but I would have thought you have a rigging background.

I don't think I fully understand what's going on with the jumper cables though.
    Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    What humility! You called yourself an amateur but I would have thought you have a rigging background.

I don't think I fully understand what's going on with the jumper cables though.
    Thanks for posting

Well, I am an engineer. More important, I think, I watched a lot of riggers in my corporate days move equipment into place through seemingly impossible openings. Their skill and ingenuity is remarkable.

The jumper cables provide power to my winch which is attached to a receiver on my trailer hitch at the back of the car where you can't quite see it. It's a HF 5000 lb ATV winch and it has moved a lot of stuff with never a whimper. The winch cable hook actually caught on the door latch hole in the bed of the truck this morning - and the winch pulled the U-haul truck and load a few inches before I realized what was happening! That had to be getting close to the load limit of the winch.

John

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Sweet jointer. some Home Depots rent drop deck trailers which are great. I moved a 6500 lb lathe that broke two pallet jacks. Nothing worse than a machine starting to tip. The world seems to stop. Show a close up of the tables. the thick planed tables on the eastern Europe machines are impressive. Dave
    I'll try to remember to take a close up of the tables when I go back to pick up my 4x4's. They really are impressive. Much smoother than most ground tables.

John

Very impressive work in Moving that!

7. Wow, this is really cool. I am going to be dealing with a similar situation in two days and your approach seems very effective.

My new 16" jointer is "only" 950lbs, but still WAY above what is feasible to move by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    The jumper cables provide power to my winch which is attached to a receiver on my trailer hitch at the back of the car where you can't quite see it. It's a HF 5000 lb ATV winch and it has moved a lot of stuff with never a whimper. The winch cable hook
    Ha! I thought you had just tied the cable to the trailer hitch and were using the Subaru to pull it. Your way is better.

Very impressive and very cool!

John,

Glad it worked out. But, without making too light of the ruckering job you faced, I'd like to mention that for me it was a case of moving a Wadkin RD 16 (16" jointer) down into my basement workshop.

Again, nice job.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Nice work. Looks like a pretty safe move to me.
    That is an odd arrangement with those fork lifts. Possibly they were just worried about stabalizing the machine on the initial movement. A stinger beam and a sling, mounted to the fork tines, would have been much easier, but to have one just saying around at a freight terminal is not something I would expect.
    How did you get it off the pallet?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Yes, nice job. I had to move a 1200lb Felder jointer/planer off its pallet (fortunately the delivery guy was able to use his liftgate, so I didn't have the big vertical drop to handle). I wound up building a frame with a chain hoist to lift it up, slipped a dolly with heavy duty wheels under it, rolled it into position, lifted again, and set it down on the floor.
    IMG_1960.jpg

The six P's hard at work. Though putting holes in the floor wouldn't fly for me.

I've got two pieces of equipment I'm not thrilled about moving. I'm just going to hire millwrights to move those. Them having insurance being the biggest reason.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post

I was over to my friend's house today to measure the base to see if we can find a mobile base for it. It's 17" x 45-3/4". Anyone know who makes a mobile base in that size that can handle over 1600 lbs.?

While there, I took a couple of close-ups of the tables.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    The six P's hard at work. Though putting holes in the floor wouldn't fly for me.

I've got two pieces of equipment I'm not thrilled about moving. I'm just going to hire millwrights to move those. Them having insurance being the biggest reason.

I don't know what else I could have anchored to (certainly not the cement block rear wall!) and to me (and my friend) holes in the floor are no big deal. They are only 1/2" in diameter and would be easy to repair. Just pour in some hydraulic cement if they bother you. I think my friend will leave them or maybe fill the top little bit with some caulk or putty so we can use them again if needed.

You are right about pro riggers. They sure know their business.

John

HTC used to make custom bases. You could call and ask. Honestly though just build a custom pallet and use a $150-$200 5500lb pallet jack or hire a welder and get some Heavy Duty casters.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.