Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Bosch Flexi-Click 5 in 1 driver coming to the US

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    That's intriguing. Care to share some examples of uses? I assumed the primary function of a portable bandsaw was for metal cutting but maybe not.
    Hi Edwin, not to hijack Van's thread, but yes you're right - primarily for metal cutting. In the shop for me, this means angle iron, threaded rod, bolts to length, etc. I don't work with metal as a shop activity per se, but it frequently comes up in jig/fixturing or building custom solutions for the shop. The little bandsaw makes quick, accurate, quiet, and safe work of some of those tasks that otherwise would require a hacksaw, dremel, or angle grinder. Total luxury purchase for a woodshop but once it saves your butt a bunch of times you really come to appreciate it - or at least I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Hi Edwin, not to hijack Van's thread,
    Nobody EVER needs to worry about hijacking one of my threads, I am all for organic conversation.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    And them ditching the Centrotec chuck and swapping it for a standard 1/4" bit chuck!
    I'm 50/50 on that. I know a lot of people love Centrotec so I kinda keep my mouth shut about it but mine tends to live with a Wera Rapidaptor in it as I much prefer the Wera bits.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I'm 50/50 on that. I know a lot of people love Centrotec so I kinda keep my mouth shut about it but mine tends to live with a Wera Rapidaptor in it as I much prefer the Wera bits.
    Tell me about these Wera bits. What do you like about them? I'm tired of using cheap bits...

Bingo! Wera bits and screwdrivers are all I use in the shop. Wiha in my electronics lab.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Hi Edwin, not to hijack Van's thread, but yes you're right - primarily for metal cutting. In the shop for me, this means angle iron, threaded rod, bolts to length, etc. I don't work with metal as a shop activity per se, but it frequently comes up in jig/fixturing or building custom solutions for the shop. The little bandsaw makes quick, accurate, quiet, and safe work of some of those tasks that otherwise would require a hacksaw, dremel, or angle grinder. Total luxury purchase for a woodshop but once it saves your butt a bunch of times you really come to appreciate it - or at least I have.
    Thanks Victor, it also looks like there could even be some opportunities in clamping it and using it like a mini-stationary tool. It's always amazing to me how portable tools can be secured in a vise or clamp or some other way and take on a whole new dimension. You've got me thinking...

Nobody EVER needs to worry about hijacking one of my threads, I am all for organic conversation.
    Plus I especially can't imagine you objecting when the hijack takes your thread in the direction of bandsaws, if even portable ones, Van.

I am a big fan of my portable metal bandsaw!! Id love a BIG metal bandsaw as well.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

There was a company making tables for portable bandsaws. Inventables had a DIY version out there too I think.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    There was a company making tables for portable bandsaws. Inventables had a DIY version out there too I think.
    You're probably thinking of Swag Offroad. Their table for the [larger] portabands is pretty popular, and if someone wants a pseudo-stationary bandsaw to cut metal, that would be the way to go IMHO. Those portabands are a little heavier - around 10 lbs - and a little more expensive...around $250 for corded, 300+ for cordless bare tools.

The bandsaw I was referring to is the M12 subcompact - it's very small and very light and pretty cheap (can probably be had for around $100 for the bare tool) and to my knowledge there isn't a 3rd party table already made for it. Might not be that hard to rig something up - Edwin's on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Plus I especially can't imagine you objecting when the hijack takes your thread in the direction of bandsaws, if even portable ones, Van.
    Not at all. It actually had me "shopping" for one thinking I should get one, I started with cordless portables (20v Dewalt since I have batteries) then the corded portables then the floor standers then I realized I cut all my small metal (rare but it happens) with an old all metal (weighs a TON) Craftsman 10" miter saw with a friction disc, while not ideal it does get the job done.

As to the Wera bits I find them to be excellent but not cheap. I prefer the diamond coated ones like these https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-056400...nd-coated-bit/

The Rapidapter is also the best bit holder I have found and it really locks them in. It has a magnet to hold them then you just lightly press the tip of the bit and it locks down like a gator on a poodle. While Amazon has the single piece bits you can just add to an order to try them out if you like them I suggest getting two things:

1. a Bitcheck which comes in different sizes but is a set of bits and a short Rapidaptor https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Kraftform Kompact set ( there are several different ones) which is a handle with the long Rapidaptor and a selection of bits. This thing is mega-cool you push a button on the top to pop the handle open to access the bits then with a touch of the locking mechanism the shaft pops out from the short position to the long position. Then you can also take the Rapidaptor out and use it in a drill/driver. It just reeks of quality and thoughtful engineering. https://chadstoolbox.com/wera-050510...ts-assortment/

You may have noticed one of my links was German Amazon which is here some of the best prices are, in the case of that Bitcheck about half what they charge in the US (not the price is actually lower because what you see is with VAT that we don't pay). Zoro also actually has good Wera prices and with a 20-30% off coupon they send out quite often they can be the cheapest place around. As for the German and UK Amazon I buy a lot of Festool, Wera and other European tools through them at significant discounts, note that not all things ship to the US. In the last month I have bought Wera bits, Festool Systainers, Abrasive Systainers some Dominos and a couple of Festool vac hoses, it ships quickly (about a week) and no hassles. Other Wera sources are Chads Tool Box and KC Tools both of which send coupons on occasion if you sign up.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 02-25-2017 at 1:02 AM.

As to the Wera bits...
    Nice, thanks Van. I've got a Bitcheck in my Amazon cart, no diamond bits in that set though (still not convinced on those). I'm curious to see if the Rapidapter is really that much better than the adapters I have from Lee Valley.

Nice, thanks Van. I've got a Bitcheck in my Amazon cart, no diamond bits in that set though (still not convinced on those). I'm curious to see if the Rapidapter is really that much better than the adapters I have from Lee Valley.
    I am pretty sure Amazon sells the single diamond bits, you may wanna try one, they grip better than anything I have tried. I haven't used the Lee Valley adaptors but maybe having just used Dewalt/Milwaukee/Craftsman and the like made Wera an easy sell. I started with the Wera Kraftform screwdrivers and moved to the bits and honestly haven't been let down yet.

I wish that 18 Volt version was available in the USA but it appears as though Bosch only sells it in Europe.

Has anyone seen a recent update as for US availability ? As of the end of July, I couldn't locate any news.
    Dick Mahany.

For years, I used a Craftsman cordless drill. Most of the cost was in the battery, You could buy a second drill with a battery and a charger for about the same cost as a spare battery. I got used to having one drill for drilling pilot holes and a second one set to low range for driving screws. It is much easier to grab the other drill instead of changing the tip and switching gear ratios.

Eventually, the batteries all started failing and I switched to Bosch 18V Li-ion drills. What an improvement. I need a second battery, so I might as well get a second drill. I see no need for the gimmick of interchangeable heads.

Steve