Thread: Drawer pull mounting position

Drawer pull mounting position

I am building a Pennsylvania secretary and ready the mount the drawer pulls in the four lower case drawers. I have read rather than mounting them half way up from the bottom of the drawer face, that mounting them 4/7's up will make them more visually appealing. The thinking is they will be viewed most of the time from an elevated position. Thoughts?
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

That seems reasonable to me. If the pulls have bails, they'll look a better if the plates are slightly higher than center.

If in doubt, tape them temporarily in place and stand back and look to make sure you are happy with the position. Cheers

Yep, they have bales. Good idea about the tape. Thanks, I'll give it a go. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Putting them above center means not having to bend down as far

I see that this thread is old enough that the pulls in question have already been mounted but for reference on future projects by others -

Here is a simple guide - http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/GPOSK.html

I believe the classical position is slightly above center. Has always looked best to me. By slightly - to my mind - I set the centerline of the bore hole so that the bottom of the knob/pull sits on the actual centerline of the drawer face.

Curious to know how the OP actually positioned his pulls.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge