Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question about protocol selling /buying. Is it just me?

I'm in hs and money is hard to come by. But my parents taught me to trust folks and to be trustworthy. If I get scammed then I get scammed but I'm not going to grow up not trusting anyone. That doesn't mean I'd trust someone blindly with 1 post but for if they are posting helpful of other woodworkers then I feel like I can trust them.

Blog Entries
    For many small items I will send them without payment and usually only ask for the recipient to pay shipping. I may also put in a note saying if they feel the value is above shipping I will not refuse their payment above shipping.

My approach is different for items above $20. For that it is usually Paypal as the preferred method of payment.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

trusting and trustworthy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Macy View Post
    I'm in hs and money is hard to come by. But my parents taught me to trust folks and to be trustworthy. If I get scammed then I get scammed but I'm not going to grow up not trusting anyone. That doesn't mean I'd trust someone blindly with 1 post but for if they are posting helpful of other woodworkers then I feel like I can trust them.
    Dave, I think you must have great parents! I've discovered in the long run that people who tend to trust others are happier in general - much of the joy in life is interacting with people.

You will find that most people who play with wood for fun are great people to know. Some recent comments on another forum in a thread called "Turners are the best kind of people" brought this observation after listing attributes common to the typical woodworker/turner:

...these attributes all indicate a well adjusted, stable, honest, thoughtful, helpful, creative individual.
    People I like to be around. Wayne K.

I think he said it well!

JKJ

I just sent a money order for $450 to someone I don't know on another forum and am not worried. I expect him to ship the item when he gets the MO.

PayPal won't allow transactions for certain types of purchases, such as firearms. Whether it's only because of that or to save the fee, I often see ads requesting payment as a PayPal gift. I don't like being asked to cheat PayPal and it doesn't help the seller look honest. Also, as the OP said, you lose all protection. If you told PayPal it was a gift, what are you going to do? Tell them you're taking it back?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    but the point I am making is that - ON THIS FORUM - in this specialized little world - why is the buyer expected to trust that the seller will actually send the item (or that the item will be in the described condition) after the buyer has taken the leap of trust to send the money?.
    As for the seller actually sending the item, your last bullet point in the original post has the answer, same goes with sending the money: Tracking Number.

As for the the condition described:
    s1.jpgs2.jpgs3.jpg
    -- a few pictures

Beyond that, each party's reputation is on the line. Most folks, especially in a 'specialized little world' like this one, value theirs
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    As for the seller actually sending the item, your last bullet point in the original post has the answer, same goes with sending the money: Tracking Number.

As for the the condition described:
    s1.jpgs2.jpgs3.jpg
    -- a few pictures

Beyond that, each party's reputation is on the line. Most folks, especially in a 'specialized little world' like this one, value theirs

Boy do I remember my saw like that got it to work on new house in 1973

Sam, I'm with you.

I've shipped items to people and they then send me payment.

A couple of times I've left stuff in the driveway, and instructed them to put the money in the mailbox.

I wouldn't cheat someone, and I haven't been cheated either..................regards, Rod.

I may be a fool but I would ship without money in hand or send money without guaranteed delivery to long term members of this forum. I would much rather do that than contribute to the wealth of someone like Peter Thiel, who spends vast sums of money promoting things with which I do not agree.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 02-28-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Case by case basis. I have to say, my trust level with the average SMC member is quite high. I've transacted with probably 50 people here and have NEVER had a less than perfect interaction.

Ok, Murphy, bring it on. I'm ready for you.

Even in my business, I've only been stiffed twice in 20 years. Once for $100 and once for $40.

SMC experiences have been beyond expectations.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

One of the last transactions I had here the buyer asked if I would take a check even though I specified PayPal. Terms were never discussed and I followed 20+ years of precedence and waited for the check to arrive. Buyer threw a temper tantrum when I pm'd to say that the check arrived and I would ship the next day. I almost returned the check instead of shipping the item as i expected further problems. I don't recall the amount.

A very rare less than stellar of many transactions here and one of those was my fault and the buyer was very accommodating--actually said don't worry about it, was still a fair price just didn't get what he expected.

I sold off quite a lot of LN/Veritas planes a couple of months ago when departing from the Neander illusion. The buyers who had a high post count had their items sent when they said they wanted it and forwarded an address. One buyer received the plane a day prior to his check arriving, but the check and plane crossed in the mail. That said, most buyers had very low post counts, if any. I had one buyer with zero posts in the Creek attempt a little maveuver but he quickly stopped when I replied. It's obvious that some people join the Creek just to be able to contact members/contributors in order to purchase items. Protect yourself and take out insurance when you ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Sam, I'm with you.

I've shipped items to people and they then send me payment.

A couple of times I've left stuff in the driveway, and instructed them to put the money in the mailbox.

I wouldn't cheat someone, and I haven't been cheated either..................regards, Rod.
    Rod, did you tell them to bring a shovel to dig out the snow surrounding their items?