Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vise Advise

I have the Veritas version configured on the tail of my bench and traditional leg vise as a face vise. I primarily build furniture and cabinets. On average, I spend less than 10 hours a week in the shop. Having the twin screw as a tail vise in my shop gives me all of the advantages of the vise without it being in the way for the type of work that I do.
    I have a 7" Wilton quick release on my outfeed table.

Pro's of the twin screw vise in addition to those already mentioned
    - handle height is more convenient than that of leg vise - generally at one's finger tips unless your bench top is > 4" in thickness - of course a standard quick release or single screw face vise offer the same advantage
    - you don't have a big chunk of iron just waiting for an errant plane sole to come sliding off a work piece

Con's - slow to open and close compared to a quick release. I work almost exclusively from the front side of the bench, so I would not want to have to work around both vise handles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 02-26-2017 at 2:00 PM.

Check out Veritas quick release tail vise. I am very happy with it and it provides way more functionality then having regular vise there. I had twin screw at the end of the bench and it does not compare favorably with tail vise for that location. I like twin screw for my taller joinery / carving bench.
    I also have Veritas quick release front vise that I am moderately happy with, Record clone is equally capable (I had Jorgensen one before Veritas).

For years I wanted a double screw vise. Well after years of planning and finally building the ultimate bench for me. I can now tell you that it's totally unnecessary. I spent a pile of money on the vises. I installed 3 on my very large bench. And never use the twin screw. Ever. I use the wagon style vise a lot though. Dogs are your best friend I guess w benches. Check out Erie for vises. I was very happy w there services.