Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawyers Bench Height

Sawyers Bench Height

Hello,

I want to build a sawyers bench and think I'm going to use Tom Fidgen's design. I am going to make the top boards 1-3/4" instead of an 1". I want to be able to use holdfast if needed or bench dog so wanted it thick enough for those. Anyone have an idea how high this should be from the floor? I have tried setting up something around 20" high and that seems to high for me. I'm thinking about 18" because obviously the board on top would add at least 3/4" or more. I might even consider 17" knows this but any input would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks
    John

John, you may get better luck in the hand tool forum. As I understand it, this is the forum for questions about how to use the site itself.

I am not familiar with the design you reference, but I have a saw bench, and it works well. It is about 18 3/4 high.

If you are not sure what works best for you, I would suggest making it at the upper end of what you think might work. If you don't like it, it is an easy matter to cut the legs down.

The rule of thumb I used: bend your knee so your lower leg is parallel to the floor and measure the distance from your shin to the floor.
    Now subtract two inches. Subtracting the two inches leaves room for the stock and for you to sag onto the piece for work holding.

YMMV.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    The rule of thumb I used: bend your knee so your lower leg is parallel to the floor and measure the distance from your shin to the floor.
    Now subtract two inches. Subtracting the two inches leaves room for the stock and for you to sag onto the piece for work holding.

YMMV.
    As Chuck posts, the best height will depend on the user. I made my first one on the tall side. Then with stock to be cut on the saw bench, scrap wood was set on the floor and used to find the best height for my knee to rest on the workpiece to work as a clamp. (commonly called a meat clamp by the Schwarz)

When the most comfortable height was found the pieces of wood I was standing on were used to mark the legs for cut off.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I built my saw bench knee high (18") IIRC, the article I read about saw benches recommended knee high.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/pr...ional_sawbench
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-27-2017 at 2:33 PM.

Like everyone else said, it depends on you and how tall you are. I am 5'8" tall, and my saw benches are 18" high. I wouldn't use a holdfast on the bench. You would be better off with something like a Veritas Surface Clamp. If you look in his book, you will see that is what Tom Fidgen uses.

One more five foot eight incher here, and mine is 18 1/2" tall. When going from sawing at the height of my bench, to using the saw bench, I had to become more conscious of the length of the hand saw. Now and then I'll see a photo or video of someone rip cutting a board down the center slot of a saw bench with the saw completely vertical. It doesn't take but a few times slamming the toe of the saw against the floor to be more aware of the lower height.

Blog Entries
    Hi John,

Great question. I'm a hand tool woodworker who got rid of my TS many years ago and does 90% of stock dimensioning with hand saws (aside from re-sawing with a bandsaw. I'm too old and fat to do that by hand).

The saw bench is one of my most used and valuable shop appliances. In my experience, building a good saw bench is one of the most important things you can do to improve the efficiency/execution and enjoyment of hand tool woodworking.

I'm currently on my 3rd generation saw bench and my suggestions are:

* Knee high works great – allows you to get your upper body over the work piece and yet is high enough to avoid the toe of the siding the ground.

* I prefer a bigger, heavier saw bench than most of those I see in the woodworking press. My current bench top is 2' thick construction grade Doug fir, 45" long, x 25" wide with a 2" inch slot down the middle for ripping and 4 x 4, splayed legs.

For me, the benefit of a bench of this size is it's light enough to move around, but is heavy enough that if you need to saw without your upper body over the workbench (and therefore able to use your body weight hold the work piece in place), the bench will still hold the work solidly without moving. For me this improves efficiency and saves time.

* I do drill holes in the top and use hold fast to keep the workspace from moving. I'm a big believer in what I believe is someone's tagline here on SMC "clamp the work and relax your mind".

* A slide up edge stop you can push a workpiece against is something I find really helpful.

* I also use a simple, trestle style piece the same height as the saw bench to support long workpieces.

* Perhaps most important, is orienting a good light source to clearly illuminate your layout line from above. I'm right-handed, so for me that means above and slightly to the left.

Just my opinion FWIW, YMMV.

All the best, Mike

DSC_0003.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0005.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0007.jpg

Build them so the top face is level with the top of your knee and then...give it a while,try using it at that height and then start cutting down till you find the perfect height, bear in mind it's not just your height but your weight,natural posture and joint flexibility all play their part.

I'm 6'4" and my 21 1/2" sawbench is perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post
    I'm 6'4" and my 21 1/2" sawbench is perfect for me.
    I'm 6'4" and built mine @24" it works ok. I'd like to try a height similar to Bill's at some point. I just haven't worked up the nerve to cut down the legs.

The bony bump (tibial crest) right below your knee.

Or, bend your knee to 90° and an inch or so below that allows room for the stock.

Worked good for me......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Zihlman View Post
    I'm 6'4" and built mine @24" it works ok. I'd like to try a height similar to Bill's at some point. I just haven't worked up the nerve to cut down the legs.
    I think you will find knee high works best.

Jeff - Stack some scrap on the floor next to the bench to stand on while sawing to try out a new height.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Jeff - Stack some scrap on the floor next to the bench to stand on while sawing to try out a new height.
    I like this suggestion. He's basically saying go into the fitting room and try it on before you buy. You'll know what feels right for you.