Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiber laser engraver recommendations

Fiber laser engraver recommendations

Been lurking here for a bit. I've seen it come up numerous times where people have said you can get a fairly decent Chinese fiber laser for around $5000 delivered to the U.S. However, I've never seen anything about a vendor name related to that. Any recommendations of a vendor to speak to if I'd like to add a fiber laser to my set of tools?

Thanks!
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Blog Entries
    Base māchine is about that. Plus customs and fees. And add if you want a rotary and other lens. Ray fine. Give Blanca a shout and she will give you as good a quote as you can get. Satisfied customer. I've a CO2 laser from them and a 20watt fiber hopefully shipping this next week.
    Web: www.rayfinetech.com
    Email​​​:​ yanblanca@yahoo.com
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I got mine from Longtai liaocheng lasers
    https://longtailaser.en.alibaba.com/
    Speak to Yarde Feng there
    Skype yardefeng
    Excellent machine ..20w .. if you can spring a little more , try for a 30w
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    I would also recommend Ray Fine and Blanca. I have a CO2 laser and a CNC from them and am very pleased with both the machines and with Blanca as a sales person and also a quasi tech person. I do not have one of their fiber's though.

Let us know who you finally choose and how you like the machine once you have one.

BTW. I assume you are aware of the various kinds of fibers available and their strengths and weaknesses depending on the work you want them to do and materials you want them to work on?

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    I would also recommend Ray Fine and Blanca. I have a CO2 laser and a CNC from them and am very pleased with both the machines and with Blanca as a sales person and also a quasi tech person. I do not have one of their fiber's though.

Let us know who you finally choose and how you like the machine once you have one.

BTW. I assume you are aware of the various kinds of fibers available and their strengths and weaknesses depending on the work you want them to do and materials you want them to work on?

Dave
    We've had numerous customers contact us about Stainless stuff, plus have some of our own projects with Stainless that are obviously easier on a fiber laser than messing with cermark. The main thing is to have more metal capabilities than we have now.

I've been reading up some on the Fibers, but obviously don't know everything. Would you be able to expand on the different models, capabilities, etc?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Steve,

Without direct Fiber experience on my part I won't attempt to answer that. But there are lots of folks here with fibers of various sorts who should be able to help.

Mainly I wanted to be sure you realized there were various flavors of fibers in case you hadn't gotten that far yet.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Utick View Post
    We've had numerous customers contact us about Stainless stuff, plus have some of our own projects with Stainless that are obviously easier on a fiber laser than messing with cermark.
    Thanks.
    Forgive me for being blunt, but in a word: NOPE. If you're expecting a fiber to replace Cermark, you will be more than a little disappointed. What it CAN replace, to some extent, is rotary tool engraving. And if you want to do "bright" engraving on metals, it's the bomb! However, I've had my fiber for 8 months and it hasn't replaced one bit of Cermark engraving. And as expensive at it may seem, after doing some quick math, I find that around 80 cents worth of Cermark generates $100 in sales.

Rowmark's not even close to that cheap!

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

+1 on the ROI on Cermark. It's the most profitable material I use.

When I was in the process of buying my Trotec I made a matrix listing brands features, etc., etc. I recommend you do the same. Besides providing a logical selection method it serves as a good self training tool. The file below will give you a start if you're interested in this project

.Fiber matrix.cdr
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-28-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I got my fiber laser from a company called 'Sign-In-China' it's a 20watt model and was delivered in about 10 days of placing the order, it worked straight out of the box. I have been using it mostly to mark cutlery.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Utick View Post
    Been lurking here for a bit. I've seen it come up numerous times where people have said you can get a fairly decent Chinese fiber laser for around $5000 delivered to the U.S. However, I've never seen anything about a vendor name related to that. Any recommendations of a vendor to speak to if I'd like to add a fiber laser to my set of tools?

Thanks!
    I can tell you one to stay away from- Ocean Link Technologies. Sent out a factory reject Max painted over with a spray can in place of a Raycus. Most importantly- you must have a secure payment method to buy safely from China, and Alibaba's Trade Assurance program is NOT safe. You may have to do a lot of negotiating, but insist on a third-party escrow that allows you to inspect the machine on receipt before seller can get your money. Look at the ocean Link scam at laserscams.com before you risk your money on the usual China terms of payment- (cash in advance, and pray we don't cheat you)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Forgive me for being blunt, but in a word: NOPE. If you're expecting a fiber to replace Cermark, you will be more than a little disappointed. What it CAN replace, to some extent, is rotary tool engraving. And if you want to do "bright" engraving on metals, it's the bomb! However, I've had my fiber for 8 months and it hasn't replaced one bit of Cermark engraving. And as expensive at it may seem, after doing some quick math, I find that around 80 cents worth of Cermark generates $100 in sales.

Rowmark's not even close to that cheap!

Hello Kev,
    We are considering going to a fiber to phase out the Thermark. Two main reasons is it's time consuming, messy and toxic when sprayed. We use Thermark on stainless steel and brass (1/16" thick) for sizes from 1x3" to 18x24". What are you main disappointments using the fiber compared to the Cermark?

Quote Originally Posted by mike wallis View Post
    Hello Kev,
    We are considering going to a fiber to phase out the Thermark. Two main reasons is it's time consuming, messy and toxic when sprayed. We use Thermark on stainless steel and brass (1/16" thick) for sizes from 1x3" to 18x24". What are you main disappointments using the fiber compared to the Cermark?

BUMP to see if Kev can respond. That's a fairly pointed statement that he made. The companies that market fiber lasers seem to subtly suggest that their fibers can all but replace the need for Cermark.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    ...The companies that market fiber lasers seem to subtly suggest that their fibers can all but replace the need for Cermark.
    If you think CerMark is slow, wait until you try it without CerMark on a Fiber. Beautiful mark, but very, very slow.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by mike wallis View Post
    Hello Kev,
    If you have any plans to do anything productive with a fiber on 18" x 24" pieces, you're mistaken. A fiber won't begin to compete with Cermark on pieces that size. We have a fiber and I'd agree with Kev's assessment completely. I had a customer bring in some 4" x 6" stainless plates for a piece of equipment that produce. The part was done on a fiber. We replicated what they had. The pieces took 45 minutes each and I wasn't happy with them, but they matched what they had (the most important thing for them). Cermark would have done that same job with a better result in 1/3 the time if not less.

Brass? Don't get me started. Some brass marks, some doesn't with the fiber. You'll figure out which ones won't mark when you take a job on for a customer and they supply you with boxes of parts you can't mark.

The fiber is by no means the holy grail of metal marking that some people want you to believe it is. The larger the item, the worse it is for the fiber. You don't get to mark parts with a fiber with 1 pass for the most part. You'll have to take lots of passes and the larger the graphic gets, the quicker that time clock goes up exponentially.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.