Thread: Watco Spray Lacquer VS Arm R Seal for bar top?

Watco Spray Lacquer VS Arm R Seal for bar top?

I'm looking for a durable, water resistant, and easily cleanable finish for my bar project.

I've used Arm R Seal for most of the project: but I've heard Lacquer is a bit more durable.

I know the Watco Spray cans would eliminate my need for Spray equipment, so I see it as an option, but I'm curious what you all would use for the top coat?

I am adding a Chicago rail to the top as well, so I want to be sure I can easily clean the finish too (to remove any grease/dirt buildup from dirty elbows!)

By most accounts, varnish is a sturdier finish than lacquer. I'd stick with the Arm R Seal. Apply several coats by brush to build thickness. If you're good enough with the brush to put the final coat without defects like brush tip marks, you're done. If you're more like the rest of us, sand the last brushed coat to 320 or finer to take out those defects, and then switch to wipe-on application. Thin the Arm R Seal a bunch, and wipe on enough coats to take out the sanding scratches.

Is this in a home or a commercial setting?

for home use Arm-R-Seal is probably fine, otherwise I would go lacquer or even poly and lay it on thick.

consider floor finishes , a lot of research and technology has gone into creating a tough cleanable surface. bonaseal is an excellent product.

Wherever you heard lacquer was more durable than ARS had it wrong. ARS is a pretty high quality varnish and will stand up to many things that will destroy any non-catalyzed lacquer, like Watco. Do some testing and see for yourself.

John

Definitely agree that lacquer on a bar top is not a good idea. As a professional, I used 2 pack polyurethane but Arm R Seal is not an Australian product so I haven't used it. John knows his stuff. Cheers

Arm R Seal it will be then.

I considered the two part poly: but it seems too risky for the average user (too much for me to screw up I'm sure!)

Glad you chose ArmRSeal. I have two desks with Deft Spray lacquer (which I suspect - but cannot confirm) is similar in durability to Watco. It's a fantastic looking finish that applies easily. However, it is very susceptible to damage from liquids.

One caveat I will give for ArmRSeal: I find that when it's built up fairly thick (as might be appropriate on a bar top) I find it to look plastic. Waterlox, on the other hand, I find to look more like glass. You'll get dispute on this, but on the cabinets and table tops around my house, my eye is convinced this true. I have Waterlox on a bar top that my kids eat on every day, and it still looks great (except where they have written on it with sharp pencils )