Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One I thought some of you pros might like.

One I thought some of you pros might like.

Project I did last spring. Had two months to get it done and installed, alone. Made enough I took the summer off.

Larry
    Crooked Tree Joinery

Wow! Very cool!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Stunning, Larry! Is that Sapele on the table top?

This amateur likes it too!
    Beautiful work.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow. Just Wow!

Very, very nice project sir. Well done - design, details and execution.

Woah...holy tapered donut, Batman! Nice work!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah that's groovy man! Looks like something I've seen in Las Vegas?
    Aj

Striking! Should be around a long time!

Who you calling a PRO? Looks like you got your degree too. Very nicely done Larry.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

WOW!! Looks amazing!!

The view from the back side with the indirect lighting around the bottom. Its larger than it looks, outside diameter is 15', and its sunk 6" into the floor. Table is 8'4" and seats 12.

The wood is Makore, the table top just looks like that because it is fresh, the sun will has darkened it now. The first customer to eat at it was our Secretary of Education and her family. Their 118' boat is moored just outside in the harbor. She may be a little out of touch with the working class?
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 02-27-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Wow. The math involved in that makes my head hurt. That is impressive, especially considering you built it on your own! Anything else like that you want to share?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton

Project I did last spring. Had two months to get it done and installed, alone. Made enough I took the summer off.

Larry
    Impressive Larry, especially the part about taking the summer off! My kids keep telling me the "new wealthy" is time off. I am learning slowly... I think we are both learning scaled back production is the way to go.

Tell us about the veneering process. In semi retirement I want to learn some veneering.
    Joe
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-28-2017 at 8:45 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Joe, I don't veneer in the traditional sense. Those were 14" 5/4 Makore boards that I had Johnson Lumber resaw into thin stock with their big machine. It was pushing the limits of their beast, so I am glad I did not try it. It came out about 3/16". The structure of the top is two layers of baltic birch 4x8x3/4 bonded together with West System then routed to shape. I had a couple of 3/8" steel plates made in the shape of the veneer sections that are all the same size. I had the steel company roll a slight curve in the steel. The base is steel, and these steel cauls bolted to a temporary center bolt. One caul had a step by the bolt so I could do two at a time. I had a layout on the table substrait and did every other one first. I could use a micropinner to make sure it did not slide sideways in the very center when the Tigerwood sun is located, and on the outside edge where I screwed on a temp piece of waste to locate that end.

After the first round I could tap the remaining wedges up into place to tighten up the joints. I had to touch a couple with a hand plane, but most just fit. Then trim the edges and cut out the center.

The planets were done using a Big plunge with a jig that was bolted to that same center bolt. I used a 1 3/8 bushing that fit in a recess bored into a piece of plywood and then just went around the table, changing bits at each step. Used a set of large plug cutters to make the inlays. The thick edge was cut to a pattern on the shaper with a Byrd head out of 2" stock. I changed the number of planets because I like the looks of this number better. Hey, I'm an artist....

The Makore was set in a very generous layer of West 206, and after flattening was treated with a soaker coat of West 207 before a top coat of Gemini Titanium WB. I use the Titanium because it is tough, but is easy to refinish in place with an airless and a bit of masking. The table is too damn heavy to take back to the shop. It had to go through the double doors on a bias without the base, and it took six guys to get it in and into place, mostly because it is so awkward.

Sand flat with an air board, and spray, end of story......

I will not use a thin veneer on a commercial table, there may be drunk women in 1/4" spiked heels dancing on that table, or maybe guys in spiked heels? Anyway I figure it will need to be refinished periodically