Thread: worth it to upgrade my old leigh 1258R dovetail jig?

worth it to upgrade my old leigh 1258R dovetail jig?

I've got a very old leigh 24" d1258 dovetail jig and I'm wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to the current dr4 pro. My jig has the original screw clamps, lousy side stops and and a bunch of fingers that I really should replace.

For those purists who say I should cut dovetails by hand, I've done it in the past but find it really tedious and would rather spend my time elsewhere.

I use the leigh for casework exclusively since I discovered the Incra was much more efficient for drawers.

Leigh sells a kit for upgrading the clamps and I can buy replacement fingers. I'm still stuck with the lousy side stops. I'm wondering if there is anything else in the d4 pro that would justify the extra couple hundred dollars over the upgrade parts cost.

I didn't have an issue with the side stops before I sold mine, I just didn't use it any more. A couple of hundred would buy more lumber or another needed tool....
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

ditch it and go buy a good set of chisels and a Japanese Dozuki backsaw. Do them by hand.

Give Leigh a call and them them your situation and see what they recommend. They have great customer service and might surprise you.
    Just getting rid of those knobs and getting the cams is priceless ! I can vouch for that.