Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 18bx ?

Well, it looks like the 18BX won't get here till the beginning of May depending on shipping IF the date doesn't slip. ( I've had bad luck with Laguna slipping dates. ) . I sold my bandsaw last week and of course I have 4 or 5 things that I could use the new one for.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Powermatic PM1500? I've read everything from fantastic to not worth the extra money. It would be about $1000 more than the 18BX out the door.
    On paper the 18BX seems like a no brainer but I'm wondering about all the little differences that might add up to a much better experience. I had an older jet jointer and when I got my new
    powermatic it was like night and day with fit, finish, and tolerances.

18BX PM1500
    motor: 3HP 3HP
    blade: 1/8" - 1.25" 1/8" - 1"
    blade: 145" 153"
    resaw: 16" 14"
    Throat: 18" 14.5"
    Guides: ceramic roller
    Table H: 38" 40"
    Table: 20"x26" 21.5"x16"
    Dim: 36"x30" 27.5"x29.75" ( not sure if these are the same L/W )
    Weight: 410lbs 394lbs

The PM 1500/1800b/2013b/2415b are absolutely my favorite Asian built saws. They are well designed, feature rich, well built and carry a 5 year warranty. That said they are priced too close to Minimax MM series saws in most cases they are MORE expensive. The 1500 is a great saw but too close to the MM16 price wise for me to get excited about.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quick Update.
    I just heard the 18BX is delay until late June due a design improvement with the fence. At least some of the 14BX's should be shipping in a week or so.

I am interested in a new resaw bandsaw soon and wanted to revive this thread. The Laguna 18bx looks good on paper but customer service gets mixed reviews. I am also thinking of the Rikon 10-346 which comes with a five year warranty. Any user reviews on the Laguna?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Lesher View Post
    Quick Update.
    I just heard the 18BX is delay until late June due a design improvement with the fence. At least some of the 14BX's should be shipping in a week or so.
    Bummer. These dates always seem to slip. Hope you get it soon - I'm looking forward to your review!

Hi folks, I can contribute this bit of info to this thread- I ordered my 18bx at the beginning of may from beavertools. After a few conversations with them and the laguna site chat, I have been told my saw won't be ready until July 28th, which means I won't see it until the beginning of august. I wait with baited breath.

Well, the day has come. I called the outfit that I bought the 18BX from this morning, and they tell me that my saw is in fact being shipped today but couldn't get me any tracking info yet, I'd almost forgotten that I bought it in the first place. I'll post again later as news develops.

Email from a laguna rep this morning says" sorry, your saw didn't make the cut. And will now not be shipped until 8/23". Didn't make the cut? Real cute laguna. The wait continues and my patience grows thin. This saw had better be amazing.

The only thing I would question on this saw would be the ability to tension a 11/4" blade, that is a seriously big blade for really big saws. Why would they spec a saw meant for a hobbyist to tension a blade that big, it is for 99.9% of people something they would not use on cost alone even if the saw could tension it.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Anyone get theirs? Levi? Patrick?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Anyone get theirs? Levi? Patrick?
    Nope, I gave up on getting mine and got the Powermatic PM15. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Lesher View Post
    Nope, I gave up on getting mine and got the Powermatic PM15. Love it.
    Bah, you're no help then. Glad you're enjoying that PM15 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Bah, you're no help then. Glad you're enjoying that PM15 though.
    PM 15 is amazingly nice also.

I had occasion to use the 18bx recently and really liked it. I like the 14bx and it's basically just a higher capacity 14bx in terms of fit, finish and how it is to use. I like the non-bearing guides that both saws use, the disc brake is nice but not very exciting imo. I also like the table on the 18bx quite a bit. I liked it well enough that I'll picking one up myself pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Gauthier View Post
    I had occasion to use the 18bx recently and really liked it. I like the 14bx and it's basically just a higher capacity 14bx in terms of fit, finish and how it is to use. I like the non-bearing guides that both saws use, the disc brake is nice but not very exciting imo. I also like the table on the 18bx quite a bit. I liked it well enough that I'll picking one up myself pretty soon.
    I need to try to get my hands on one, or at least the 14bx to get an idea of fit&finish and whether I'll be left wanting. I'm basically down to the 18bx if I stay budget-conscious vs. the FB510/MM16 if I decide to blow it all on the bandsaw. Might be my last bandsaw purchase for many, many years though.
    On paper, aside from the 3HP motor (probably sufficient for me since I'm more of an all-around user than resawer), the 18bx is impressive with a good table size and throat (also why I'd opt for it over the PM15). But then a lot of the difference between the Asian saws and the Euro ones is less about the specs on paper...