Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimax cu300 vs hammer c3-31

Minimax cu300 vs hammer c3-31

I have seen these discussed before but most treads seem to center around before the hammer redesign. I am interested in getting one of these machines soon but am up in the air on what one to choose. I am a hobby guy that builds furniture and does some carpentry work. I have been quoted both and they are within $1000 dollars of each other outfitted the same. I am looking at the 8 ft tables. What do you guys say?

The longer the table, the more important the quality and build of the extrusion and base. Look at which is built more stout. An 8' table is an odd size. Takes up a lot of room but not very handy for panels as you really need at least 9' to deal with 4x8. Almost every time a company redesigns its machines now, they get lighter. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    The longer the table, the more important the quality and build of the extrusion and base. Look at which is built more stout. An 8' table is an odd size. Takes up a lot of room but not very handy for panels as you really need at least 9' to deal with 4x8. Almost every time a company redesigns its machines now, they get lighter. Dave
    I have an 8.5' table that handles a full sheet of ply with no problem. I can't speak to the Hammer but the CU300 has an 8.5' table. I would be surprised if the Hammer didn't also.

Length of table is overrated, unless you're doing production and see yourself regularly needing it. For a hobbyist, I'd put a higher value on how the slider fits in your space and what the extra length costs.

I have a C3-31 with the 6.5' slider, and frankly, it's too big for my space. I never rip a full sheet of plywood (or if I do, I'd use a track saw, anyways). If I ever really needed to rip something that long, and for some reason didn't want to do it with my track saw, I'd just use the rip fence, not the slider. So extra length is not the big deal that some people think.

Have you checked with Felder and Minimax to see if there are owners in your area you can visit? Might help make the decision.

Like Dan, I have the C3-31 and there are posts/reviews from last year as we both got ours around the same time. Either machine is more than adequate for a hobby woodworker. If you really need an 8ft table and have the space, then go for it. Like Dan, I've never found the 6.5ft Hammer slider to be a limitation - I rarely rip anything that's 8ft long and a full sheet of 3/4 ply is a PITA to lift onto any table. I tend to use Baltic Birch anyway which is 5x5

I have a Hammer B3 Winner with the 4 foot table.

Since it will crosscut a sheet of plywood, I don't need a longer table, and it wouldn't fit in my shop.

Most furniture components are around 30 inches in width, such as tops, gables, backs etc.

Where I live Mini Max support is poor compared to Felder because Felder have a large shop in the town I live in. That's really handy, that said either brand will make you happy.

I liked the Hammer solution because I was able to order exactly the size/feature combination that was appropriate for my uses, so I have a small slider with an outrigger, 1 1/4" and 30mm shaper spindles, tilt up power feeder, dado, scoring etc.

Regards, Rod.

I sold as many CU300's as anyone and never had a customer with an 8.5' slider tell me they regretted it. On the other hand, I did have several 5.5' CU300 owners tell me that if they had it to do over again... And these were garage hobbyists, not necessarily pro guys.

It's your money and you should buy what you like but every, and I mean EVERY CU300 owner I had loved that machine. Huge cult following. Best of luck in your search,

Erik

Yea. Don't need the 8.5 but think I'd rather spend to get it. I like Duolingo built ins and bookcases so I'm sure the length would come in handy. I really am leaning to the cu300 based on some owner feedback

For me, I like having the 8' 6" wagon on my MM slider. I rarely need longer than that, but I'd likely be frustrated with shorter because of how I like to do some things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Minimax CU300 with the 5.5 ft slider. I really like it a lot, but if I had room I would love to have the 8 ft slider instead. But in my case I just don't have room.

If you have the room you should go for it, IMHOTIFWIW.

I also have the CU300 with the short slider. Had an opportunity to upgrade to the 8.5ft slider but after taking measurments of my space I decided not to as it would mave made it difficult to work in a cramped space. Would have done it if I had the space. Similarly, if I had the space, I would have gone for saparate saw/shaper and J/P combos. However, given my constraints my machine meets my needs very well.

I had a MM CU300 with a 5.5' slider and thought it was too short, so I upgraded to a combo machine with a 8.5' slider. I find it really useful to straight line rip lumber, and seldom use it to cut down 4x8 sheets of plywood.

there was a time when sheet manufacturers told me that you could not trust an outside edge to be straight or that the material was not always square. No comfort to me working on a cabinet saw. Like all things you can make it work with what equipment you have you adapt and it takes more time extra step or two. you can edge rip your solid on a slider but if you need or want a spring joint at times it wont work and you are limited to length, while not often ive had to work longer lengths than a slider could do. no issues had always done it on the jointer.

where is sheet stock these days can you 100 percent trust they are giving straight 8 foot outside edges? The old guy in industry worked lots of 5 x 10 material ill have to ask if he ripped the outside edge first. Said they put him in a room with some massive slider. In the past dealers said do your outside edge on your slider, you mean the one I dont have? So do most of you with big sliders rip a bit off so its clean then rip to width ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    I also have the CU300 with the short slider. Had an opportunity to upgrade to the 8.5ft slider but after taking measurments of my space I decided not to as it would mave made it difficult to work in a cramped space. Would have done it if I had the space. Similarly, if I had the space, I would have gone for saparate saw/shaper and J/P combos. However, given my constraints my machine meets my needs very well.
    Exactly the reason I own the CU300 with the short slider. Seems the 2 car space was designed for it.

Warren, around here ripping a bit off as waste is pretty standard .