Thread: Beading tools

Beading tools

Looking at buying the D-way beading tools. Are you happy with your's and what 2 sizes beading tools would you recomend

I have them and love them I bought the full set but you do not need a handle for them, I just use them free hand rocking back and forth. It depends on what you are turning. If basket weave you will want the two smaller ones accents on big pieces you would probably want the larger ones. I use them all cant say there is one I really use more then the others as I find them all useful, besides can you really have too many tools? sorry at work so sizes I don't remember off the top of my head.

Have all of them but if I could only have 2, it would be the 1/8" and the diamond tool.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Buy the entire set and don't look back! They are fantastic tools and you will find uses for all of them.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Buy the entire set and don't look back! They are fantastic tools and you will find uses for all of them.
    I would second this. If, however, you want/can buy only a couple, think carefully about what you plan to use them for and buy the appropriate size. I have the set -- I have yet to find a use for the smallest beader. I also have used the second smallest relatively little. I would rate these sizes as least useful -- for what I do.

I only have the 1/8" one from D-Way. I like it a lot and it works extremely well. Sometime I will be ordering the rest of the sizes or I might pick them up in KC this summer at the AAW Symposium (If Dave is there).
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    A tip on using the D-Way style beading tools I have shared before: You can burnish the bead using the flute part of the tool by simply placing it over the bead and pressing down. This harden/densifies the wood and facilitates easier sanding. I brought this up with Dave Schweitzer more than a year ago and he thought it was a good idea.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I have the 1/4". It's a great and easy to use tool. However, I will say that by virtue of it being a scraper with pointy edges, as you get further into the bead, I find that it can grab a little; that's not to say I've ever had it catch - just that you can't just press and forget it. You have to be a little gentle with it. I also find 1/4" beads to be big for my taste. I wonder if the 1/8" is easier by virtue of the more shallow bead... Just guessing...

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Like any scraper you have to have absolute control of the tool at all times. I press it firmly against the tool rest and pivot it inward. If I loosen my grip, the chances of a catch are tenfold.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

As far as "scraping" I find that introducing the tool as vertical as possible provides more of a cutting action vs scraping. I would add that while the tool can feel a bit grabby I have not experienced any catches and I use them on nearly every turning I do.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 02-27-2017 at 4:55 PM.

Left click my name for homepage link.