Thread: Spyderco Fine stone-- how important is it?

Spyderco Fine stone-- how important is it?

A few years back, I bought a Spyderco Medium and Ultra Fine Bench stone on recommendation of George Wilson.
    While there's probably better stones, these work fine for my steel.
    I've been going with Diamond, Sypderco M, Spyderco UF, and possibly a Japanese Natural finisher as my lineup.

A few weeks ago, I bought a Spyderco Fine stone from Rivendell when I ordered some bike parts.
    Thing is, I'll be returning the bike parts.
    I'm thinking of also returning the stone if it's not that useful.

What do you guys think?

If I add the Spyderco F to the lineup, will it make sense?
    I'm at a stage where I don't want to just accumulate stuff, but only really keep stuff that's useful and a pleasure to use.

-Matt

Matt, I use the Medium and Ultra Fine, and have never felt the need for a stone between them. I'd send the Fine back, or re-purpose it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

In my experience, I see the more problematic jump is from the diamond to the medium. Spyderco mediums can take a long time to remove even fine diamond scratches. It quickly puts a shine on a bevel but a look under a microscope shows the diamond stone pattern is still there.

Thanks for the input!

I could do without an extra stone that I won't use. Otherwise, I can't justify one that I *will* use!
    I'll be sending it back either today or Thursday.

-Matt

ps. What diamond stone do you recommend? I'm using a cheapy eze lap fine diamond that I bought at Japan Woodworker for $10-20 a few years back before they closed in Alameda.