Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK - I got my Festool sander - now what

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    I have a newer model Fein and it works perfectly with my first foray into the Festool vortex (Domino XL) - no extra adapters other than what came with the tool. The Fein is quiet, it has a long hose, a long power cord, and I like the built-in auto-on / auto-off. I will be connecting it to a Dust Deputy one of these days. I believe the Fein plus a Dust Deputy will still be cheaper than any of the Festool vacs.
    That is an example of the power of the Festool system, even when it comes to third party companies. Oneida makes the Ultimate Dust Deputy which attaches directly to the top of a CT vac and while certainly more expensive than a Fein and DD the CT + UDD it is an elegant solution.

That said for a in-shop system only I think the Oneida Dust Cobra with piping around the shop to plug hoses in (and either a simple or sophisticated on/off or auto on/off system) makes for a better solution for not a lot more money than a Festool vac and likely cheaper in the long run when you consider the cost of bags and filters for the life of the vac.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I'm not sure that's the case. I recently got the Fein Turbo I and am very happy with it. It's quiet, has excellent suction (it claims a greater CFM than Festool, but I don't know what conditions either are tested under) and doesn't cost nearly as much. The Festools may be better at meeting OSHA requirements, but OSHA doesn't come around my shop.

I've never used one of the older Feins, so I can't compare them, but to me, the new one is better in all respects than the big box vacs. At $265, I see it as a good option for someone who wants something in between Shop Vac/Ridgid and Festool.
    I didn't mean to say that the new Feins don't make sense for a lot of people - as you've said, they are a nice middle ground in terms of price while still providing a good feature set, and certainly a giant leap above big box screamers. It's just that the previous generation was an apples-to-apples comparison against the Festools that actually came out ahead in certain respects for the hobbyist:

- The feature sets were basically the same. Specifically, tool-triggered on/off, adjustable suction via variable motor speed, available HEPA filtration, and extremely quiet operation. The variable motor speed is now gone on the new Feins, with suction being controlled by a vent at the hose collar. The Festools retain variable speed motors. Manufacturing has also supposedly shifted on the new models - not to Asia - but to cheaper Eastern European countries. It remains to be seen whether this new generation of Fein vacs can last the 10+ years people were getting out of the previous generation. I do not know if they still use the same high quality motors (Lamb?) but my guess is no.

- HEPA filtration. Both Festool and Fein were and are available with HEPA certified units. However, the kicker in the previous generation for hobbyists (those not needing a certified unit) was that you could purchase the cheapest Fein and put a 3rd party ($30) HEPA filter on it. That was pretty sweet. Now the HEPA filter is proprietary and is expensive (~$100+), same as the Festools.

That might not sound like a lot of difference, but for someone who didn't want to shell out a ton for a Festool vac (twice!), the previous Feins weren't even a compromise - they were a bargain and a no-brainer. Now, that's exactly what they are - a compromise that's perhaps more in line with their price relative to the Festool vacs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Still waiting for mine to show up from Tool Nut. Maybe soon??
    I got an email from Tool Nut that mine will be delivered on or about March 23.

4. I have this adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It goes from the regular shop vac to my Makita track saw and Festool Domino with no problem.

Blog Entries
    The bosch vac005 hose fits.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    The real insidious thing is that $50 voucher that just must be used....
    Ha, that's the truth. I finally got my voucher yesterday.

And ordered a Domino xl this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Ha, that's the truth. I finally got my voucher yesterday.

And ordered a Domino xl this morning.
    Too late I guess but eBay has 8% back in eBay bucks this week, Hartville, CPO and several other authorized dealers sell on eBay. Unfortunately, Amazon UK nor DE ship the 700 tenon assortments to the US (they are close to 1/2 what we pay) but Amazon UK sells the 500 kit but is OOS now... I actually think someone on this thread may have bought the last 2 they had in stock a couple of weeks back...

I bought 4 sanders because I thought I would at most buy 4 tools in the next year, I went through all 4 in 6 weeks, now wish I had bought two more. C'est la vie

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Buy Festools little suitcase vac, its only $375. I have one mounted on the ceiling just for sanding, can sand several large projects on one bag.

I use this adapter to connect shop-vac hose to Festools. It is 2 3/8" long and is flexible rubber. Works well. I bought it at Woodcrafters for a few dollars. It was displayed near the Festools and sales person showed it to me when I balked at buying Festool vac, hose, or any other expensive solution for connecting to my vacuum.

adaptor.jpg

I got my $100 Festool sander today - just about to the day that it was promised. Haven't really used it yet - just sanded some scrap to see how it worked. The Bosch hose I have fits it perfectly, as well as the Festool hose I also have.

For some reason, it came with two $50 vouchers (in the box), with two different voucher numbers - so they're both usable. I don't have any plans for a future buy yet but I'll have to think of something.

It also came with a hose adapter, obviously intended to be screwed on the end of a Festool hose. Any idea why they included this? The Festool hose fits perfectly already - the end doesn't need to be changed.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-07-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I got my $100 Festool sander today - just about to the day that it was promised. Haven't really used it yet - just sanded some scrap to see how it worked. The Bosch hose I have fits it perfectly, as well as the Festool hose I also have.

For some reason, it came with two $50 vouchers (in the box), with two different voucher numbers - so they're both usable. I don't have any plans for a future buy yet but I'll have to think of something.

It also came with a hose adapter, obviously intended to be screwed on the end of a Festool hose. Any idea why they included this? The Festool hose fits perfectly already - the end doesn't need to be changed.

Mike
    I wonder if both will actually work since you need a sander serial number and T number to use the voucher, my guess is the system will throw out the second attempt with the same numbers from the sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I wonder if both will actually work since you need a sander serial number and T number to use the voucher, my guess is the system will throw out the second attempt with the same numbers from the sander.
    Yeah, I thought of that. I suppose I could just change the serial number by a couple of digits and see if that would work. But I really don't have any plans to purchase any future Festool products. Because of that, I may just put the sander up for sale on eBay. I'm happy with the sanders I have now and the Pro5 is going for about $250 on eBay right now (plus shipping).

Mike

[Edit: I put it up for sale on eBay. I have a couple of PC sanders (8-hole) that I like and I'd have to buy a set of different sandpaper (9-hole) for this sander.]

[Wow, 50 minutes after I listed the sander on eBay with "Buy it Now" for $250, someone bought it.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-08-2017 at 9:23 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I got my sander a couple of days ago. The adapter that comes with it ended up fitting perfectly with the tapered working hose end of my old Fein vac.