Thread: February 2017 vs February 2015 on the farm

February 2017 vs February 2015 on the farm

2017_Feb.jpg 2015_Feb.jpg

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

jkj

The shoe keeps dropping here! We had neighbors over for dinner last Friday night. The husband said he's not seen a winter like this here since he was a young child. He's in his 70's.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Snowing again today in Issaquah. Heavy, wet snow that frequently leads to power outages. We don't have a generator,
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 02-27-2017 at 8:11 PM.

The 7 ski resorts that are within 20 miles of me (as the crow flies) have snow bases between 96 and 144 inches,
    average snowback in those vicinities is above 165%-

-- and I haven't had to touch a snow shovel since before Christmas -It does snow here in the valley, just not very much!

Our summer hobby is boating on Utah Lake, which has lacking the past 2 summers due to low water levels. Last August birds were standing in the middle of the harbor eating worms. So we have plenty of room for all that melted snow come spring!

Lots of snow in the mountains, not much at home, and our empty-for-2-years lake should fill up... Far as I'm concerned, this has been the perfect winter!
    (knock on my head!)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Ken the heavy snow has been disruptive to our rail service through the Glacier Park area. Closed both mains twice due to avalanches this month. Our winter has been more like Johns. Mild for the most part and not enough snow to even need to plow my driveway.

Ronald,

I would love to ride those trains in that area....even in the winter time.

One of my wife's cousins is a retired railroad engineer who lives in the Chicago suburb area.
    Ken

I love it when it dumps snow. The cold don't bother me. Friends and family are always complaining about the cold when it snows, then I walk through, barefoot, in short-sleeves, knee deep in the snow, smiling at them. They can't comprehend it(I'm kindly puzzled by it too). But I don't feel better than when I'm trudging through snow, feed the animals, clear the roads, come in to fire burning off of wood you'd gathered during the summer, and eat food that you worked up and harvested during the summer. It's awesome.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

John,

Enjoy the warm February; you deserve it.

We had all of two nights that dropped below freezing this year and days in the 70s have been here a couple of weeks. I am hoping it isn't a sign of months in the upper 90s with 80+% humidity being able to put on enough to keep warm but never being able to strip off enough to stay cool...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

We could use some of that snow, send it up here please.................Thanks, Rod.

Snow? Played golf three days last week here in central PA! 72 degrees here tomorrow, although lows in the twenties end of this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Ronald,

I would love to ride those trains in that area....even in the winter time.

One of my wife's cousins is a retired railroad engineer who lives in the Chicago suburb area.
    Ken we will be through there in July. Taking an Alaskan Cruise and getting there by rail. I worked right by Glacier park in 2014 for a couple weeks. Definitely the most beautiful place I ever worked. Stayed at East Glacier the first week and Kalispell the second. I also spent month in Havre Mt in 1997 and road a freight train from there to WhiteFish and back. Ride Amtrak to Havre and then back. Definitely a ride worth taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    I love it when it dumps snow. The cold don't bother me..
    Our next door neighbor with his snow thrower last winter.

20160209_095545 (Medium).jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Ronald,

We, I, my wife, FIL, MIL drove to and toured Glacier about 13 years ago. I drove there, took a red bus tour over Logan Pass and back. Stayed at the little motel at the end of Lake MacDonald. My FIL, a man of few words, sat in a chair on the walkway outside our 2nd story motel room and said he'd set there for another 364 days before he'd find it necessary to move the chair for a different view.

I would love to make a winter train trip through that country.

Later this year the wife and I hope to tour Banff National Park in Alberta, BC.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    ...toured Glacier... he'd set there for another 364 days before he'd find it necessary to move the chair for a different view.
    That's what I thought at several places in Glacier! With good binocs at Many Glaciers I could watch the grizzlies from the lodge deck and the mountain goats WAY up the mountains. The views certainly rivaled the Swiss Alps and the Dolomites in Italy. So much to see, so little time...

BTW, I took this picture a short walk past the end of the road. Don't see this much in Tennessee.

moose_binoc.jpg

The photo is not National Geographic crisp since I shot it juggling-handheld through one lens of my tiny Leitz binoculars.

JKJ