Thread: What's a warranty worth?

What's a warranty worth?

I found a Craigslist ad for an quality compressor I'd like to have. Seller says it's NIB. He bought two but only needs one. Checked the manufacturer's site and the warranty is NOT transferable - it only applies to the original purchaser. Seller is asking $125 - current price on every site I've checked is $145.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

It would be worth $20 + tax to me.
    I met a guy selling a high-end kitchen blender NIB. When I asked him to take it out of the box for a test drive, he refused. I walked.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I wouldn't buy it for $20 ..

I buy quite a bit of stuff off CL. No way it's worth just saving $20 + tax. IMO. Guy needs to lower his price. I'd offer $100. He can take it or leave it. He probably won't be able to get $125 for it. Good luck.

Agree he is too high and that you should offer $100.

As a total aside, do yourself a favor and go to the manufacturer's website to see what the conditions of that warranty are. They are getting more and more persnickity even with the original purchaser. I was recently surprised at how many hoops a manufacturer put me through on a warranty claim. I'll buy someone else's product that has fewer conditions next time. You might too.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

6. Personally, I would offer him $100. If he wouldn't go for that I'd just buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    I found a Craigslist ad for an quality compressor I'd like to have. Seller says it's NIB. He bought two but only needs one. Checked the manufacturer's site and the warranty is NOT transferable - it only applies to the original purchaser. Seller is asking $125 - current price on every site I've checked is $145.

What is the warranty? Thirty days, ninety days? A year makes it worth more.

Like the others, $20 isn't much reduction.

I agree with all above. Offer $100 for a factory sealed NIB. If it's a lemon, it's your lemon.

Red
    RED

I am not aware of a quality compressor that comes in a box or that is $145. I'd like to learn more.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Ok my take on a warantee is not much at that cost level. As I learned in my MBA program those are mostly for marketing anyway. Don't get to caught up on it. Especially if its a good reputable brand. At that price range we talkin pancake? Id offer 75 and settle at a hundred.

Maybe it's just my cynical mind but did these compressors fall off the back of a truck, WINK, WINK?

I've tried to use warranties a couple dozen times over the last four decades. It's been worth the effort perhaps three times-- two of those were cars, and one an Apple computer. I've stopped paying attention to them, for most things they make it so hard to use that it is effectively impossible. Instead I try to buy from folks like Supermax, who, when I called tech support about an intermittent problem, volunteered to send me a new speed controller at no cost to me, with no questions about warranties raised.