Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh commercial white bread

Fresh commercial white bread

I miss the experience of having fresh commercial white bread. I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't happen.

In my childhood, the family ate Sunbeam bread and, with the correct timing, you could shop for bread on the day of its weekly delivery to the store. It was fresh.

Several things have changed. Perhaps, in my current location, I'm not near a commercial bakery.

Pehaps it's due to the change in bread recipes. Modern Sunbeam white bread has a coarser texture than the Sunbeam bread of my childhood.

Perhaps its due to the local custom of locating the bread aisle across from refrigerated cases. There is often condensation inside the bags. (I notice many local households keep their bread in the refrigerator, so they wouldn't know what fresh bread tasted like anyway.)

Not sure if it is part of the cause of what you are seeing but the mineral content of the water used to bake any bread has a huge impact on the texture and taste.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Your market's in-store bakery can help with this...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sorry to have to say this, but white bread isn't real bread. Its what's left after all the nutrition is bleached out.

Stop eating it immediately. :-D

If you can live with unconventional loaf shapes, having to slice your own bread and a complete lack of preservatives, get a bread machine. I've been using one for over 25 years. Saved thousands of dollars and had bread that was healthier and tasted better whenever I wanted it. We are never more than about an hour and a half from a fresh warm loaf of white bread. Our current favorite is about half white and half white whole wheat (yes, there is such a thing) but that takes longer. You can use the timer on the machine and have bread ready in the morning.

Our Panasonic SD-YD250 is about 6 years old and replaced a similar model which wore out after many years and hundreds of loaves. You can get fancy with it but we seldom do. I make pizza dough with it. If you get one, you will wonder why you ever missed commercial bread.

BTW, you can freeze it but don't keep it in the refrigerator. It gets stale in the refrigerator, not in the freezer.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 02-28-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Modern commercial breads have been engineered to have a shelf life of a month or more. Your bread may be coming from a bakery 1000 miles away. Find a local baker to support, or make your own. There are recipes online for DIY WonderBread if that's what you'd like to achieve.

(When I first learned about tortillas I was taught that 24 hours was about the maximum age that was acceptable, that an hour or two was better (true). I was horrified to find a package of tortilla-shaped objects in the grocery store that had a "best by" date nearly six months in the future!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I so agree. Though I don't eat white bread, our local Von's (Safeway Corp) bakes bread every day. If you go in between 5-6 PM it is still warm and you can watch them package it. Hard to beat that freshness short of making it yourself (which is the best way). My family likes the italian loaf. I go for a rustica of some sort.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    No, the markets in-store bakery sells a completely different product! I'm familiar with baking bread and I have often done it. However, I would also enjoy having the old fashioned commercial bread. If the the nutrition is "bleached-out", so much the better. I don't need more nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Modern commercial breads have been engineered to have a shelf life of a month or more. Your bread may be coming from a bakery 1000 miles away. Find a local baker to support, or make your own. There are recipes online for DIY WonderBread if that's what you'd like to achieve.

(When I first learned about tortillas I was taught that 24 hours was about the maximum age that was acceptable, that an hour or two was better (true). I was horrified to find a package of tortilla-shaped objects in the grocery store that had a "best by" date nearly six months in the future!)
    Giggle 'calcium propionate'. Big name bakeries use it to inhibit mold growth - - and depending on the bread product's moisture content, you can usually get a month or so before it gets grey and fuzzy. Leave it out and you get a shelf life of 2-3 days if you're lucky. Same if you bake your own, unless you regularly irradiate the kitchen to sterilize.

Don't like chemicals in your food? Breads will probably double in price. Take your pick, 'poison' or poverty.

OK, OK. You can blame me a little. I have helped automate the mass production of CalPro.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 02-28-2017 at 4:06 PM.

I can't for the life of me figure why people eat white bread. Its so bland and with all the different breads out there to try. White bread yuc
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I bake too, about 90% whole wheat using hard white winter wheat. I grind my own of course. (Sorry my snobbishness is showing through). I do buy sliced bread and am always amazed at how long it lasts today. It goes stale way before mold starts to grow. I presumed it was being irradiated, but now I know it has more 'additives' that keep it 'fresh'.

I bake four loaves at a time, use one immediately and freeze the other three. Pulled from the freezer, it is almost as good as fresh from the oven.

After spending so much time in Germany we"re spoiled. There just aren't good breads here. But----German bread, delicious as it is, is very expensive and like most French breads, has a one day shelf life. But man, is it good!

We do buy baguettes and ciabatta once in a while. For my pb&j I use oat bran.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Fifty years ago, had Fridays off. Would go by the bakery, and have lady running outlet store go get us a couple loaves that hadn't been wrapped yet. We would sit in car and eat them right there. Only thing that could have made it better was some butter for our still hot fresh baked bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Sorry to have to say this, but white bread isn't real bread. Its what's left after all the nutrition is bleached out.

Stop eating it immediately. :-D
    Try European "white" bread...that's worth eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I can't for the life of me figure why people eat white bread. Its so bland and with all the different breads out there to try. White bread yuc
    It makes good toast.