Thread: Drop Ceiling

Drop Ceiling

Looking for opinions of any issues I may run into that I did not think out. Since I did the walls in Knotty pine I continued with the ceiling as well. However I wanted to the ceiling to be removable since it is the basement and in case I ever needed access to anything. I found some tight knot cedar 2x4's that I used to construct a type of drop ceiling. With a regular 2x4 cut down to 2", with glue and screwed onto the the cedar to give me a type of track to lay the knotty pine planks into. I used floor joist hangers to install onto the main for joist.

Anyone see any issues with doing this?

Balance between the village idiot and the ignorant looking for proper guidance

I think that was a very creative way to deal with the ask of beautiful and flexible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The only issue is you can see the cedar supports. My brother in law has a low basement. Too low for me but he is shorter. I lent him my pin nailer to hold the staggered boards in place so it would look just like your walls. If you want to gain access you just pull down a section, remove the pins with pliers & re-pin it back up. It means there is nothing to bang your head on in his case.
    My issue; he never returned my pin nailer. He just ripped down a whole corner for his kitchen reno so it may be years before I ever get it back!

Looks really nice and I like that you can see the supports...breaks up the space.

To me wayyyyyyyyyyy too much knotty pine. Would not have been my choice but to each his own. Looks like it works. If you like it that is all that counts
    John T.

Nice solution....Good idea.
    Jerry

I like it. I did a similar project where I needed to be able to remove the ceiling for pipe access for when I redo an upstairs bathroom. The house is 1874 built and I wanted to keep a rustic look. I saved joists and planks that were removed and made t-shaped strips for ceiling supports, leaving the old lath and plaster marks. Tongue and groove boards for the ceiling panels. The t strips are held in with c-sunk deck screws. Remove 2 screws and you can take the whole panel down. They also make good "secret storage spaces" not that I have anything worth hiding.
    Attached Images Attached Images