Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laguna 1412 bandsaw used. What is a good price?

Here is the bandsaw I picked up as is. I only cleaned the table because was starting to show signs of oxidation from sitting in a storage unit
    IMG_0310.jpg
    Last edited by Rick Pinzon; 03-05-2017 at 6:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Pinzon View Post
    Here are a couple of the blade photos. Maybe someone else that is not familiar with the blade (like I was ) can see what a variable TPI blade looks like.
    Attachment 355415Attachment 355418
    Definately variable pitch. Is it 3/4". I'd say it is probably a Resaw King and that jumps to 99% if it is 3/4". I might get in touch with Laguna and see about getting it welded and resharpened at the same time, they can let you know what is possible.

It doesn't look like it broke at the weld, can you find the weld elsewhere? The only thing I would do before sending it in is check the gullets carefully for fatigue cracks forming, if they are I MIGHT pay to get it rewelded but I doubt I would spend the money to get it sharpened, if fatigue cracks are starting it won;t be long until it breaks again.

BTW nice looking saw, I think you got a very fair deal.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 03-05-2017 at 7:53 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yes it is 3/4 in and it definitely did not break at the weld. I can see where the weld is. Im not sure there is an fatigue cracks anywhere. The guy I bought it from seemed to jump from hobby to hobby and I think his woodworking was short lived. He may have been reckless when he used the blade and probably got little use out of it before it snapped. I say that because it looks like he did not pay careful attention to detail when he put the saw together.

Yes it is 3/4 in and it definitely did not break at the weld. I can see where the weld is. Im not sure there is an fatigue cracks anywhere. The guy I bought it from seemed to jump from hobby to hobby and I think his woodworking was short lived. He may have been reckless when he used the blade and probably got little use out of it before it snapped. I say that because it looks like he did not pay careful attention to detail when he put the saw together.

I would get in touch with Laguna, send the pictures and see if they think they can weld it and leave enough length to work on the saw.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I would get in touch with Laguna, send the pictures and see if they think they can weld it and leave enough length to work on the saw.
    The blade measures 114 1/2 inches. Not sure if that was the length before it broke or if 1/2 inch is missing.
    Last edited by Rick Pinzon; 03-05-2017 at 8:56 PM.

The blade measures 114 1/2 inches. Not sure if that was the length before it broke or if 1/2 inch is missing.
    Generally the smaller the saw the less room for blade length variation but Laguna should know the minimum and they may be able to splice another piece in but then you have three welds in the band vs one.

Congrats, here is to many happy years making sawdust together!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Congrats, here is to many happy years making sawdust together!

Thank you Chris

I called laguna and they said it's $35 plus $10 for return shipping to weld and sharpen. They would inspect the blade to see if it can be repaired, if be charged for the repair. A break at the weld is covered by warranty but in my case the break is elsewhere. They said the break has to be at least a ft away from the weld to it can be fixed. If it's too close then that part of the blade would be too stiff and therefore not repairable
    Last edited by Rick Pinzon; 03-06-2017 at 12:29 PM.

I called laguna and they said it's $35 plus $10 for return shipping to weld and sharpen. They would inspect the blade to see if it can be repaired, if be charged for the repair. A break at the weld is covered by warranty but in my case the break is elsewhere. They said the break has to be at least a ft away from the weld to it can be fixed. If it's too close then that part of the blade would be too stiff and therefore not repairable

Sounds worthwhile to me, was not sure it could be repaired this cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Sounds worthwhile to me, was not sure it could be repaired this cheaply.

I agree and I only pay shipping if they inspect and determine can't be repaired or sharpened
    Last edited by Rick Pinzon; 03-06-2017 at 1:44 PM.

I agree and I only pay shipping if they inspect and determine can't be repaired or sharpened

Hopefully they can repair it, but it is worth the shipping in order to find out since for the cost it is a nice blade.

The blade was successfully welded and sharpened for $45. It took about 2 weeks for me to get it back.

Great to hear, Rick!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Great to hear, Rick!
    Maybe someone else out there has a broken resaw king blade may find this useful

they warrantee the weld but that's it. If if breaks anywhere else it will cost $45 to fix. Also the break supposedly can't be too close to a weld or it can't be repaired. Mine was 2 feet away from the original weld so it was not a problem to get fixed
    Last edited by Rick Pinzon; 03-30-2017 at 5:52 PM.