Thread: Not sure if this is really stupid? Mixing solid walnut with MDF.

Not sure if this is really stupid? Mixing solid walnut with MDF.

Hi Creekers,

I'll be building a set of small speakers for myself (the Jeff Bagsby Quarks).
    The pack is CNC cut MDF, some drivers and crossovers (with Jeff doing all the smart stuff).
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...mputer-speaker

However, i'd really like to make some solid walnut baffles on the kit.

Backstory: back when I first graduated from Dental school, I had a hell of a time finding work.
    One day (when I was applying for my DEA license), the dentist that I was visiting told me that there was a fallen walnut tree off Craigslist.
    I picked up the walnut round, had it quartered via chainsaw, and it's been air drying in my garage/workshop for about 7-8 years now.
    This wood has been harvested, processed, and dried in my hometown where I have my dental practice.

Would it be stupid for me to use it on my speakers?

While they'll be mostly tucked away inside my personal office (to replace my $12 amazon speakers), I think that it'd be a pretty interesting story.
    However, I'm not sure if I'd need to worry about movement or shrinkage and contraction.
    At the very worst, I may end up getting the parts stabilized after machining them.

Would love your thoughts.

Matt, I've had luck mixing hardwood and painted MDF. I made a storage cabinet and dog food and birdseed dispenser, which I don't have a picture of and utility room cabinet, which I do. I have been pleased with the result, as the painted surface of MDF can be quite attractive if painted well and I wouldn't hesitate to utilize the method again if the application is right.

Laundry Cabinet#2.jpg

You can certainly make that work, as Yonak points out. But if I had a "special" hunk of tree, I wouldn't use it with MDF. I'd buy another piece of hardwood to use with the speakers and save the "special" stuff that meant something to me. OTOH, if you arent using it up on anything else, and this pleases you, why not?

Please post pics when you get it done. I'd like to see them.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If the speakers are that small, and you orient the grain so it runs in the longest direction, I wouldn't think you would have much of a problem with wood movement. The movement will mostly be in the cross grain direction and the speakers only look about 4 inches wide.

You've saved that wood long enough, use it for something you'll keep.