Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video makes me want to pull my hair out...

Video makes me want to pull my hair out...

I tried 3 times to post the URL for the video at the time I wanted but it keeps defaulting back to the beginning, the relevant portion is from 9:50 to about 17:00.

I generally like Marc but really? I get it people consider the bandsaw an ancillary machine, even if one does keep a couple around, and I know "Friday Live" is basically off the cuff but it just basically reinforces the slap any ole blade on it and it will work mentality which is part of the reason the bandsaw is often viewed as ancillary. I doubt the conversation would have been similar if the topic had been table saw blades. OK I have vented now.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van,

My BS is my primary saw. I don't have any hair to spare so I had to stop watching this video. Such casual, confident ignorance is really annoying. Issues like the correct TPI for the thickness of the workpiece and the minimum radius you can cut with a BS blade of given width are fundamental, not esoteric, information. They deserve a modicum of respect. AND the blade on the 14" saw appeared to be seriously out in front of the guides even if it was not tensioned.

No slam on Marc but definitely a slam on the quality of information in this part of the video.
    Doug.

I often think the guys with sponsors have to sell out somewhat to survive. No mention of the shortcomings of the value engineered machinery or tooling is allowed. Guys who may be great woodworkers have to shill for the sponsors products and who may not have a clue as to how a competitors products might be an improvement. I miss the old David Marks shop where old and new were both showcased although even his old stuff wasn't top shelf. I don't blame the teachers, I blame the viewer who doesn't question. I remember a million years ago when I saw Norm's Delta DJ 15 jointer and thought it was the ultimate. Bought a DJ20 which is OK, but soon found out that there are bigger flatter and better options for the same cash or less. Slippery slope. Dave

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When you've never really had need to use a hammer (odd as that might be to you and me), nothing looks like a nail. We're all vitims of our own perspective, even when that perspective might be quite narrow.

in my new gig, I have to make do with a crappy Jet table saw and coming off a slider, it's pretty terrible, to be honest. But the shop guys think its awesome.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When you've never really had need to use a hammer (odd as that might be to you and me), nothing looks like a nail. We're all vitims of our own perspective, even when that perspective might be quite narrow.

in my new gig, I have to make do with a crappy Jet table saw and coming off a slider, it's pretty terrible, to be honest. But the shop guys think its awesome.

Erik
    New gig?? Are you not selling Minimax anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    I hadnt noticed him around for a while, was starting to wonder if something happened.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The bandsaw is wildly misunderstood and there is a lot of misinformation out there. I am a bandsaw novice jumping in with both feet and good information is often hard to find.

I like Marc, and have learned a lot from him, I watched this and didn't think to deep about it. He is trying to appeal to many people, some who have never used a bandsaw, so he may not get into the technical detail people with more experience know. I do know that this summer he will be doing a in depth video or 2 part series with Alex Snodgrass. I also believe he has a video on how to set up and tune a bandsaw on his free site.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Erik is marketing some really kewel wood/millwork products after many years in the equipment business. He posted about it sometime ago. But he still contributes useful information on Euro machines and MiniMax in particular. Sam Blasco, also an SMC community member, is the MiniMax rep to go to for purchase or questions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ok, I'll bite. What's so wrong with the video?

He clearly appeals to people earlier on their learning curve. However, I find his advice to almost always be spot on, practical, and informed by his own experience. He's deliberate and conscious and thoughtful.

What specifically do you all object to here?

I watched the vid and don't get the issue? I think a bandsaw is a tool and it has its purpose but its that a tool. I have two a 17" with a carbide blade for resaw and it does that real well. Its tuned for that purpose. I also picked up a 14" 1934 delta for a song and have it set up with a small blade with carter stabilizer tuned for small curve cutting. I used the 17" for both for a long time but was a pain for the switch over and re-tuniing for what ever purpose I was using(sorry I'm lazy).

It still would not replace my TS in my opinion because there are tasks that it does well. Just like my TS55 track saw is really good at breaking ply down and I would not want to horse that big sheet up on the TS or think of using a BS for that purpose.

I have hand planes as well and where they are appropriate I use them.

I guess to me, if its a nail, then use the hammer, and if its a screw a screw driver.

Its all good. Cheers.

C'mon. It wasn't a bad video or explanation of bandsaws/blades.

There was nothing wrong with the information in the video guys, people who are or consider themselves to be bandsaw experts just get worked up when they see a super generic description or information given on something that has a lot more depth to it. But considering the source and who its intended audience is and the format of the delivery of said information it was done perfectly. Find some other stuff to hate on the internet, there is PLENTY more!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. What's so wrong with the video?

He clearly appeals to people earlier on their learning curve. However, I find his advice to almost always be spot on, practical, and informed by his own experience. He's deliberate and conscious and thoughtful.

What specifically do you all object to here?
    I'll admit I regretted posting this even as I typed the OP, but I will attempt to add my point by point issues later today since I took the day off to work in the yard (spring hit a week ago here) and I am only taking a short break. Again, I like Marc and I like a lot of the content that he produces, I have his book and obviously watch some of his videos but as I heard each question recited my brain would lock onto two or three conventional wisdom points, not my kooky ideas or issues Duginski and Iturra vehemently disagree on, just the things you will see recited a dozen times in a bandsaw blade thread. Maybe it is unfair to Marc and my fewer hairs this morning is my own opinionated fault. In any case I'll get back to this later today and likely make more apologies then.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I think it's about expertise, or lack there of. One hand tool YT presenter was using a five gallon pail to get in the back door of his shop. He got a contactor to build a step with some other things. These things are dead simple, when I was pushing, my good carpenters did them in 3 hours, the young clowns in 6 hours. This guy is teaching classes !