Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 18/36 or PM 3520B

Laguna 18/36 or PM 3520B

Have been looking at these 2 models. I've found these prices:

New laguna $2,250 when on sale at woodcraft 220vversion

Used powermatic $3000 asking price. 2008 build date. Looks in good shape in pictures. I think this is high price wise. Maybe should be $2,500?

new powermatic is on sale this weekend at my nearest woodcraft for $3,599 but that really out of the budget by too much.

I played with both a little at woodcraft yesterday but didn't use them. The PM seems to have a little nicer build refinement when it comes to things like the hand wheels, etc but they both feel stout. I want to be able to turn large pieces of cut green wood and the 24" models and brands like robust and one way are above the budget now.

Any thoughts? Is the PM worth paying more than the Laguna for used? I'm a long time from retirement so I won't say this is my last lathe but it should hold me untill I buy my forever lathe one day.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 02-28-2017 at 10:05 PM.

I've never used the laguna so I can't compare. I bought a PM3520b in very good condition for $3000 but it included the bed extension.

It's hard to imagine being unhappy with the PM if the price was right.

JKJ

Thanks. I think the PM would be awesome but I like everything I've seen about the Laguna too. Only seen one problem so far which was a broken hand wheel which looks to be cast. And I keep reading about bad customer service but I think a lot of that is people repeating what they heard.

Anyway I'm not sure what to do. Most people selling old pm3520's seem to think they are gold as they want what I think is too much for used.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-01-2017 at 6:37 AM.

I bellied up to a Laguna at the Nashville symposium and found it a bit low for me. One other thing to consider is the PM is proven concerning parts and the set up is pretty simple. Also manufacturers build plenty for the PM, not certain of the Laguna. I have a Laguna bandsaw and love it....but most stuff for generic bandsaws don't fit it.....even blades are a little odd.

I had a great experience with Laguna Customer service last month. They were able to resolve my issue with my Revo 10-16 quickly and to my liking.

I have used and demoed many time on the 3520. I have always found the 3520 to be a bit cumbersome with working on the headstock side of the lathe which I actually do quite often. That is one of the reason I have an American Beauty as my big lathe in my shop. I like the tapered nose on the Laguna for that reason. Everyone that I have talked with that has the Laguna really seems to like them. I also like having a fairly long bed as well which is another plus on the Laguna. Either are good machines.

Recently, there was a thread that presented nearly the exact same scenario - buying the Laguna Revo vs. a used PM and if I recall correctly, for about the same money. You may want to review that thread for additional responses.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...year-old-3520b
    Last edited by John Keeton; 03-01-2017 at 5:52 AM.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thanks guys. All helpful posts.

John I was following that other post and also have your review PDFs printed right next to me.

very tough decision. At 6'1" the PM might be at a better height for me but I didn't get a chance to actually use them to see.

To to further muddy the water the grizzly g0799 is in the same price range at about $3,500 shipped.

I've looked at all of them and I don't think there is that big of a difference unless you nit-pick. One thing you have observed is the PM's hold their value well and if you buy a used one at that price you'll certainly get near to that amount out of it when you sell it, so long as it's in reasonable shape. You'll loose at least some money buying a new one when you sell.

My suggestion: Flip a coin, heads PM, tails Laguna. Then don't look at the coin. Your heart will tell your head if you want heads or tails. Then buy it, and have fun turning.

My suggestion: Flip a coin, heads PM, tails Laguna. Then don't look at the coin. Your heart will tell your head if you want heads or tails. Then buy it, and have fun turning.

LOVE IT! Great idea Jason.

Biggest difference between the two is the headstock design, well, the PM is most likely a bit more heavy duty. I turned on a 3520A for about 8 years. I have spend a small pert of a day on the Laguna. Headstock design: With the PM, the headstock spindle comes right out of the headstock case, on the Laguna, it is in a big cone. What this does is extend your mounting place out several more inches off of the actual headstock. I don't really care for that. Main reason is kind of like turning short vs. turning long hollow forms. The longer ones tend to vibrate more than shorter ones because they are farther off the headstock. Since I green turn to final thickness, working from the headstock side is not an issue. The PM does (or did have) a notch in the headstock to give a little extra clearance. You could use extended jaws as well which shouldn't be a problem as you are only finish turning and not roughing when you would want the piece closer to the mount.

I guess one other thing about the Laguna is their portability set up. I always slide the headstock down to the end so I can stand up straight to turn bowls. That is why they have sliding headstocks. The mounting brackets on the Laguna are in the way for this type of turning, and to me pose a trip potential.

If the lathe is too short, you can put it up on a 2 by 4, or a 4 by 4 without much effort. The Robust has telescoping legs so you can go up or down.

robo hippy

Reed why would the longer quill and longer distance between the front and rear bearings equate to more vibration? The chuck is not a greater distance from the front bearing and as far as I can see the that distance would be the issue.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Neal DaMommio View Post
    Reed why would the longer quill and longer distance between the front and rear bearings equate to more vibration? The chuck is not a greater distance from the front bearing and as far as I can see the that distance would be the issue.

Neal
    I agree. That was the same point I attempted to make in the earlier thread referenced in my previous post in this thread. In fact, all other things being equal, I think a longer shaft between the fulcrum points might increase stability.

Left click my name for homepage link.

You could look at it as 2 levers. One is from the bed up to the headstock spindle for height, and the other is how far off the headstock mount/base of the head stock the chuck mounts. In the PM, my chuck was about 4 inches off the headstock. With the Robust, it is about 6 inches. Looks like the Revo is more than that, but haven't measured that one. So, the more it sticks out from the bottom of the headstock mount/footprint on the bed, the more difficult it is to hold steady. Using the tailstock helps to steady it, but once the tailstock is removed, then you get some vibration. Hope that makes some sense.

robo hippy

15. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I agree. That was the same point I attempted to make in the earlier thread referenced in my previous post in this thread. In fact, all other things being equal, I think a longer shaft between the fulcrum points might increase stability.
    The Robust AB, and Oneway 2436 also have a cone shaped spindle housing.......at least semi-cone shaped compared to the PM 3520b. With a solid steel spindle housing, I do not see an issue with vibration being induced. I agree that an added length on the spindle with more distance between bearings would bring more stability versus a shorter spindle. The same principle of mechanical dynamics on a better ride being delivered by a longer wheelbase on a vehicle vs, a short wheelbase.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!