Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Dust Deputy or XL?

Super Dust Deputy or XL?

I have a G1029 2 HP DC. I am venting outside and putting a Super Dust Deputy on. My question is do I need the Super or the Super XL? I have a 6" port on my DC so I would think the XL since it has a 6" port on the blower side and the Super has just a 5" port. However, O'neida's specs say 2HP or less to use the regular Super. But do I want to funnel down to a 5" for the blower to Dust Deputy side? I wouldn't think so.

Who's on first?....
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I went back and forth with this before I bought my SDD. The blower side of both units are 6 inches. It is the input side of the SDD which is 5 inches and the SDD XL is 6 inches. I hope I made the right decision but I don't know. I went with the smaller one because I believe it is better to error on the small side. If you go with too big of a cyclone then you tend to pass a lot of fine dust because you don't have the power to make the cyclone work well. If you get too big then I believe you end up with clogs in the bottom of the cyclone and you will need to turn off the unit to allow the clog to settle out.

I bought my cyclone from Woodcraft because the shipping from Oneida was $40 or $50 dollars whereas Woodcraft had no shipping charges and Woodcraft did not carry the SDD XL.

My USA made Cincinnati DC has a 12 1/4 inch fan with 1100 CFM. It has a Baldor 2 HP motor which is 24 amps @ 110 volt.
    Last edited by lee cox; 03-01-2017 at 6:35 PM.

Ahh, see I had that backwards. I thought they were referring to the blower side. That makes more sense. Everyone tells me to run 6" piping but I'm like you, I don't know if the larger one is good for a 2HP unit.

The answer is on Oneida's website - 6 inch both ends the XL is recommended. They used to base it on HP but looks like they changed this recently

"Which Super Dust Deputy cyclone do I need? If your shop has fixed piping that matches the diameter of your dust collector's intake, choose a cyclone that matches that as well. So 6" ducting connected to a dust collector with a 6" inlet should use our 6" XL cyclone. The same applies for 4" ducting runs and our new 4" Deluxe cyclone.
    If your shop has piping that is smaller than your dust collector's inlet, such as 4" piping with a 6" inlet, then our 5" cyclone can be used to transition between them. You will need reducers to complete your setup (read below).
    If you have industrial applications, such as collecting hot ash/soot or highly abrasive materials such as blasting powders, you should choose our Steel Super Dust Deputy."

Wow, they must have changed that like this past week because just last week I read about the HP of the collector. Just went back on and I see that now. Thanks Andy, I will be running 6" pipe and have a 6" inlet on the blower so XL it is.

I guess they have changed what I read on Oneida's site back around Christmas. So let us know how it works out.

Oneida did change what was on the website. If I was buying today I would pick the SDD XL because of the 6" inlet. With 6" ducting and a 2HP blower, you will get good performance.

Yes it did change, I got the Super Deputy with the 5 inch inlet last year and then put 6 inch duct on it. I have a 1.5HP and am happy that I'm squeezing a good performance out of the system. I reckon either Deputy with a good filter is going to be a lot better than a bag with 1.5-2HP, but it never made much sense to me that the inlet to the blower was 6 inch and the standard Deputy only had a 5 inch inlet

Thanks guys, I had ordered the XL already but cancelled while waiting on some other things to happen. Now I will order the XL and hopefully get everything setup next week!

I wonder how the metal SDD compares to the plastic SDD? I have the metal SDD because that is what Woodcraft stocked.

Lee, looks like its the same as the standard deputy with a 5" inlet - the FAQ recommends it for industrial applications (hot or abrasive material)

So I'm wondering if anyone has actually installed and tested such a set up -- 2HP blower with a Super Dust Deputy XL all with 6" duct. I have an art degree so I prefer to read calculations rather than make them. Any nerds out there with an anemometer put some efficiency numbers to this setup?

I'm curious too

I installed a Super Dust Deputy on a 2 HP/11" impeller collector using a 5" main (which is the stock inlet).

At the end of the run I temporarily hooked up my SCMS with ~ 5' x 6" flex hose.

The readings were 340 CFM and a velocity of 2500.

I redid the run with 5" flex hose and the readings went up to 448 CFM and a velocity of 3300.

This leads me to believe using an adapter to go from 5" to 6" for the main with the SDD and a smaller sized impeller is not a good idea.

Collection of fines is so good I leave the door to my house open when I'm using tools that are hooked up to the collector.

For the heck of it, I gave the Wynn filter a couple of good taps on the outside before inspecting my clean out box after about a month of use...

Clean out box.jpg

This is my set up, the reason for the high mount is so the main pipe goes straight into the cyclone and at a height of 6' 2" under the pipe I can still walk under it

10 - Cyclone install done.jpg

Cheers, Don

Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

I have a Super Dust Deputy XL on a 2HP DC with 6" piping. I don't have any measurements but it works fine.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have a Super Dust Deputy XL on a 2HP DC with 6" piping. I don't have any measurements but it works fine.

Mike
    Do you know how big an impeller you have ? Or the amp rating of the motor ?

FYI > I dragged 20' of 4" hose around for years, it also "worked fine"

Adding the SDD and going to a 5" main actually increased performance.

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer