Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chain or cable? Air filtration mounting

Used eyebolts and a chain for mine, then turnbuckles on the heavier side to get it to have level since the Jet model has all the weight at one end.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

For some reason, I didn't have the "heavy side" problem with either of the two Jet air filtration machines in my shop. Maybe, I have the eyebolts far enough from each other that you don't experience the problem?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I didn't have any problem with balance either.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I hung mine from rubber bungee straps to avoid transmitting vibration into the joists & ceiling. The straps are backed up by slightly loose chains. It hang's about 1/4" out of level, but that doesn't really matter. It's quieter than when it was hanging solely by chains.

Didn't have any balance problems with mine either.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I hung mine just under my t-bar ceiling. I used all thread rod , attached to the wood above to support two 2/4's at the ceiling and screwed the unit to those.
    I have hung many metal hoods with chain when I was working as a sheet metal worker and the trick to leveling while using chain is to twist the chain to shorten it. You can tweak it in to perfectly level this way.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Not sure I like the chain method anymore. Both units are now hung easy enough but when I tried to level them they would not stay even with the adjacent wall, which is only 12" away. After fiddlin' with it for awhile I can either get them level or even with the wall but not both. I'm stumped.

Blog Entries
    Mine came with chains and springs. I used both when I mounted it, made it level by eyeball and it works just fine. I get no noticeable noise transmission through the ceiling joists.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I'm curious. Other than appearance, is there any reason for these things to hang exactly level?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I'm curious. Other than appearance, is there any reason for these things to hang exactly level?
    Probably not, I just like the way it looks.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Not sure I like the chain method anymore. Both units are now hung easy enough but when I tried to level them they would not stay even with the adjacent wall, which is only 12" away. After fiddlin' with it for awhile I can either get them level or even with the wall but not both. I'm stumped.
    Post a picture. I just hung mine up.
    IMG_0550.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.