Thread: The clock at Fort Christian

Blog Entries

The clock at Fort Christian

When I got a call asking if I wanted to learn to oil and set the clock at Fort Christian, I jumped at the opportunity. Fort Christian was built between 1672 and 1680, and is now being restored. I'm involved indirectly as president of the St. Thomas Historical Trust. We raised funds for some of the work, including fixing the clock. Here are some pics. The mechanism was replaced in 1913 with a Seth Thomas made mechanical mechanism, which later was converted to electric. I thought it might interest those of us who like to tinker. (Basically all of us)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Were the original mechanical works wood or is it unknown?
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    I do intend to find out, but I don't know the answer. They had surprisingly a lot of stuff available to them, and I would not be surprised if it had a metal mechanism.

Beautiful piece of machinery!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Wikipedia says "In the 18th century, the fort was expanded and in 1874 a new entrance with a Victorian Clock tower was added."

Were the parts removed during the conversion kept? I ask because sometimes they are left in a box in the clock tower. If so you might consider undoing the conversion, driving these clocks in this manner is pretty hard on them and I hate seeing them mutilated in this way. If winding is inconvenient there are electric winders out there that can be attached in a way that is reversible and without altering the function of the movement. Otherwise, restoring the movement will be expensive and probably not in the budget.

Troy

Neat stuff Malcolm. Thanks for posting!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That sounds like a great project to take on.

Most mechanical clocks are recommended to be oiled every 5 years or so. The oil is only applied to the bushings. Oil applied to the teeth would attract dust and accelerate wear. That clock appears to be uniformly oiled. With the exposed gears, it might be easy enough to clean and oil it much more frequently so it may be acceptable to oil the teeth. I would be interested to hear some of the details.

Steve

Blog Entries
    There are oil holes in all the bushings. You simply put a drop of oil on a screwdriver and let it drip into the hole. This is done every six months. You have to turn off the striker or it will strike and break the clock if you are doing anything when it strikes. It's really a simple mechanism.