Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First impressions: Dubuque bar clamps

First impressions: Dubuque bar clamps

Bought some Dubuque bar clamps. (Been on a binge lately with clamps.) First impressions:
    * Fit/finish are good. The parts move along the bar smoothly and lock into place tightly. Some of the welds could have been ground "prettier" but so what ? - it's a clamp.
    * The bar is rock solid. In practice glueups (all dry - no glue), I couldnt get it to flex at all.
    * I was concerned about the effectiveness of the butterfly handles. They turned out to be easy to tighten. I was able to excerpt as much clamping force as I needed. I did not joint the boards and the joints were very tight.
    * The panel was easy to keep flat and square too.

These clamps really do live up to all the hype - they are nice tools. I'll gladly buy more if I need them. They were right at $24 each, for two-footers, including tax/title/licence.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I was unaware of said hype. I think I've seen them in the LV catalog but never given them a second thought.

I've been waiting a while for a sale of the Jet parallel clamps, but haven't seen a decent one in a long while. I'll take a look at those though.

Look just like the Rockler blue aluminum clamps. I have 3 of the rockler clamps and like them a lot.

41412-02-1000.jpg

Somewhere recently, I read a review of clamps, and the Dubuque aluminum bar clamps were the only ones of that type to have the jaws remain parallel. Rockler clamps I have flex much more than the Jorgenson clamps of the same type....thinner aluminum.

I have some Dubuque's on the list.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I've got four of those Dubuque clamps, 48 in and I really like him. Sometimes you need a lightweight clamp and they fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I was unaware of said hype. I think I've seen them in the LV catalog but never given them a second thought.
    Perhaps hype was the wrong word. But many places I've seen them discussed/reviewed (or advertized by vendors whose opinions I value, like TBT or TFWW), they are said to be very good, high quality tools. My first look confirms that to my satisfaction.

And I agree - never gave them a second thought either. Until I recently realized that the F-clamps I've used forever aren't always the best answer for the projects I build. YMMV.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-03-2017 at 6:31 AM.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dindner View Post
    I've been waiting a while for a sale of the Jet parallel clamps, but haven't seen a decent one in a long while. I'll take a look at those though.
    I was too - like the JETs a lot. But it might be that the JETs are better for assembly and the Dubuques are better for flat panel glue ups. Not sure yet, but I do like these. The best out-the door price that I found was at The Best Things. Even with shipping.

They are made in the USA by a family business too, unlike lookalikes.

I have a few small sets of the 36" and like them a lot. They're certainly good enough for me.

I've it about 14 to 16 of these clamps. Half in 24" and half in 48" I love them for panel glue ups. I alternate top and bottom with them. After paying too much for the first ones I found this website for the rest. Saved a few bucks. I have no affiliation but got good service and a good experience with the company.

https://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/uniclamps.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    ... I love them for panel glue ups. I alternate top and bottom with them.
    Does dried glue in the slots cause you any problems?
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Blog Entries
    Hi Fred, Where did you get them at that price please?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How much depth is in the actual jaws?

I'll need some long (70"ish) clamps for an upcoming projects and these are MUCH cheaper than parallel clamps in that length. But since I will need them for assembly I feel the longer jaws of the parallel clamps would be an asset.

pro.woodworker.com, $21.82 per clamp for 6 24". Plis about $10 shipping.