Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Tires

Anyone buy either Firestone or Michelin tires? If so which ones and how do you like the ride? I like the Michelin but we have a Firestone dealer much closer to our house. The Firestone FIRESTONE DESTINATION LE2 or the Michelin Michelin Defender LTX. Tires are for a Honda CRV. Where else to talk about tires, after all a woodworker probably made the first wheel.

I haven't bought Firestone in a very long time. A couple of years ago I bought Cooper for my Odyssey and was very pleased. I'll buy them again when I need new tires.

I bought Michelin a few years back for another car and felt they were pretty good as well. I'm partial to a smooth, quiet ride with good wet weather traction.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have Michelins on my Prius and have had good luck. Second set now. 90,000 mile warranty is kind of a joke. I don't drive hard and barely got 60k out of them. They did pro-rate a discount on the new ones though. They will probably be the last tires for this car since I just hit 95k miles yesterday.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I have Firestone Defenders on my Ford Ranger, and Michelin Latitudes on the Nissan Murano...
    I like both ....

My daughter's AWD Chevy Equinox had FIRESTONE DESTINATION LE2 tires as original equipment. They were reasonably quiet, good in rain and snow and lasted 50,000 miles. In fact, we liked them so well, we replaced them with the same ones. I'd buy them again without hesitation.

Defender LTX is reported to be an excellent tire...many folks in the Grand Cherokee world love them. (I went with Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus, but the LTX was my second choice)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We put a set of Michelin Latitude Tour on our '07 CRV on 8/2010 and we're looking to replace them now. Been happy with the performance and traction in the winter.

You can go to Tire Rack and get all sorts of reviews and explanations about tires.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

In 2008, I bought a new SUV that came with Firestone tires. One of these tires was defective and the internal layers started separating. It was noisy and rode badly. We took it in to the local Firestone store exactly like the warranty instructed and they said they were not obligated to fix the tire. Eventually, I forced them to acknowledge that they were responsible for replacing the tire but their customer service was so offensive that I will walk before I will buy another Firestone tire. I refuse to buy a new vehicle that has Firestone OEM tires on it, regardless of any other features or reliability ratings.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 03-03-2017 at 10:22 PM.

I had (2) sets of Michelin Latitude Tours on my Highlander and was very happy with them, hence buying them twice.
    No problem getting 75K out of the first set w/5K rotate intervals.
    Mac

We run Firestone LE2 on both of our vehicles...a Toyota Highlander and a Tundra. We're on the second set due on each due to good luck with the first set. We got approximately 80k on each vehicle with the first set, and have been impressed with snow, ice and rain traction. Proximity of the Firestone store was a contributor to the original decision, making it easy to get in for regular rotation and any road hazard issues. We also liked that there should be a store nearby wherever we might need service while traveling.

Andy Haney

I had Firestone on my explorer and on my F 350 crew cab and I had 1 tire on the explorer and 2 on the 350 that had to be replaced Firestone only replaced the ones on the explorer due to a recall but would not do anything on the 350 one tire on it had a big bubble on the side wall inside and the other the bands broke when I was doing 70 on the interstate

Go check out tirerack.com for reviews and options. I buy all my tires through them and get 'em drop-shipped to my favorite tire installer.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

We run Michelin tires on all our vehicles. The Michelin tires focused on rain work superb for us.

Blog Entries
    I run either Michelin or Pirelli on my cars. I favor softer rubber for better turning and braking grip (sacrificing wear longevity). I once ran Firestones on a Jeep but didn't like them much.

They are all quality tires. The real choice in my mind is, "what is your priority?"
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Michelin on our 2010 Taurus, and General on my 2010 Ranger PU.
    Both are the best tires I've ever had.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night