Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet small Shaper vs. Router Table

I lost a lot of tools in the flood in August. My router table was trashed and my Triton router also decided to jam and not want to go up and down anymore (even though it didn't get wet or rusty).

I ran across the Grizzly 1 1/2 hp shaper with extension table for $250 and bought the router collets for $60. So far I'm loving it. I want to do something different as far as the fence goes but I haven't been dissapointed when routing with it yet. At this point I have no interest in going back to a router table but time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Green View Post
    I lost a lot of tools in the flood in August. My router table was trashed and my Triton router also decided to jam and not want to go up and down anymore (even though it didn't get wet or rusty).

I ran across the Grizzly 1 1/2 hp shaper with extension table for $250 and bought the router collets for $60. So far I'm loving it. I want to do something different as far as the fence goes but I haven't been dissapointed when routing with it yet. At this point I have no interest in going back to a router table but time will tell.
    Interesting....still mulling this one over myself...

Hi All,

I have a 3HP Jet Shaper and have had several different router table setups. The cut quality of a router bit in a shaper is okay but it can be very poor in some woods because the cutter speed is greatly reduced - make sure you understand this point!

The shaper vs. router, IMHO, is not like buying a table saw or a jointer, where bigger is almost always better. Shapers are industrial machines, designed to run all day long, and their max spindle speed is about 1/2 the speed of a router - which can be a big issue with small bits certain woods (burning or chipping). In addition, you should also consider the cost of shaper cutters (I have several that were over $300, each), a power feeder @ an additional $1K, recognize that they are not portable, and will require 220V power. Routers, in contrast, are perfect for furniture making because most router bits can run at their optimal speeds and also do double duty by being used in hand-held operations.

My own personal advice is to buy a router table, first, then add a shaper if your work requires one. Also note that I see 1.5 and 2 HP shapers on Craigslist but almost never see 3 HP or bigger. A good budget setup is a Rockler router table paired with a Triton 2 1/4 HP Router, which served me well for years. Today, I have both versions of the Festool CMS and I have the VL paired with an MFT and the Incra wonder fence. It is a nice setup but only because I got one of the CMS' used and at a price I could not walk away from.

I use my Delta HD shaper, w/power feeder, far, far more than my Kreg router table, w/lift. Entry is higher for cutters over router bits, but the machines themselves are readily available on the used market, for less than a fully outfitted router table, like my Kreg.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I had a real nice router table, motorized lift and all. I built it with my father and then inherited it when he passed. I used it about equally as much as my ancient Walker turner 3hp 3/4" spindle shaper. Then I found a great deal on a Taiwanese 7.5hp 1.5" spindle sliding table shaper that I couldn't pass up. I hardly used the router table much after that. When I picked up a good deal on a power feeder the router table was just taking up shop space. I gave the router table and 3.5hp PC router to my brother in law. I like shapers better than router tables... once I got a power feeder there was no way I could match the cut quality coming out of my shaper with the stock always being fed at a perfect speed with hand fed stock though a router table. My favorite cutter is a 45 lock miter joint, my Walker Turner is always setup with this cutter and the Taiwanese shaper does everything else. I can setup my shaper faster that I can setup a router table.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 04-27-2017 at 2:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schuch View Post
    I had a real nice router table, motorized lift and all. I built it with my father and then inherited it when he passed. I used it about equally as much as my ancient Walker turner 3hp 3/4" spindle shaper. Then I found a great deal on a Taiwanese 7.5hp 1.5" spindle sliding table shaper that I couldn't pass up. I hardly used the router table much after that. When I picked up a good deal on a power feeder the router table was just taking up shop space. I gave the router table and 3.5hp PC router to my brother in law. I like shapers better than router tables... once I got a power feeder there was no way I could match the cut quality coming out of my shaper with the stock always being fed at a perfect speed with hand fed stock though a router table. My favorite cutter is a 45 lock miter joint, my Walker Turner is always setup with this cutter and the Taiwanese shaper does everything else. I can setup my shaper faster that I can setup a router table.

This is good feedback, have not quite decided what I want to do.

I haven't used my router table since getting my shaper. My 2nd(current) shaper is so much easier to set up then my router table. The fence is key to shaper enjoyment if you ask me. My router table is homemade. I might think differently if I had a router table with a precision fence and lift

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I haven't used my router table since getting my shaper. My 2nd(current) shaper is so much easier to set up then my router table. The fence is key to shaper enjoyment if you ask me. My router table is homemade. I might think differently if I had a router table with a precision fence and lift
    At this point it is a question of floor space more than anything else for me I think...I have a router lift and would be keeping a small router table.

Hmmm I have the small (1.5 hp)shop fox shaper with extension table. I made over 50 doors and drawer fronts for my house with it. I never wished for more power, or a better fence. I used a lot of router bits in it and never had any issues.

For me the key is a power feeder. I figured out it is absolutely necessary for molding,trim etc. you can't put one of those on a router table. Oh I guess you can but would be a PITA.

It is currently in storage and I use a Festool Router table because of space limitations.

Just my $0.02 worth

Bill

Here's a few instruction manuals on the small shaper. The last one from Delta is my favorite, but they all will illustrate how versatile the little tool is.

‎vintagemachinery.org/pubs/808/395.pdf

Sears | Craftsman - Publication Reprints - The Jointer, Shaper and Thickness Planer | VintageMachinery.org

‎vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/1060.pdf