Thread: New to the forum, but not new to woodworking

New to the forum, but not new to woodworking

Hello all,

I've been lurking around for a little while and reading up while deciding whether or not to jump back into woodworking after a 16 year hiatus. I have had the itch more and more over the past few months and finally bit the bullet and started converting my 24x25 detached garage into a workshop.

A little bit about me:

I'm mid 30's and live in Huntsville, AL. I grew up in South Alabama in a woodshop with my dad. He has been a cabinet maker/contractor for over 30 years. In 2001 I met my wife and moved to Huntsville with her and got out of woodworking. His current shop is a 30x50 and inside he has mostly Jet equipment (table saw, shaper, belt sander, drill press, band saw, two lathes, and dust collector) but a few other things. He still uses the same old RAS that he bought when I was about 10. He also has two nice Jessum router setups for his cabinet doors and a molding machine. His most recent purchase has been a CNC router for doing fine carving in cabinet doors and for sign making.

Recently due to the number of renovations we are about to do to our house (and after not liking the quality some cabinet shops showed us nor what the box stores offered) my dad recommended to my wife that I build them for us.... and we have been off to the races ever since. I'm going to really have to dust off the old hat since it has been a long time since I've done it but I'm sure I'll get it done. After the cabinets I plan to begin building more outdoor furniture. Eventually though I REALLY want to get into building a few guitars for myself.

I'm having to watch my budget very closely but have been scouring over all of the local ads and have ran across some pretty decent deals and managed to keep my budget in check and keep the wife happy. So far I have acquired a few of the larger tools:

Craftsman 10" 22124 1 3/4 HP hybrid belt drive table saw (used once) with a bunch of accessories - $400
    Porter Cable 240v 60 gallon single stage air compressor (new) - $420
    Craftsman 10" radial arm saw (used and old, but works very well) - $80
    Jet JJ-6 6" jointer (it' the old funky greenish colored model and needs the top surfaced but runs beautifully) - $100

I am waiting to hear back on a 14" bandsaw, a planer, a clamp rack (full of various clamps), router table, belt sander, and a few other tools in an estate sale and hopefully I have the basic tools needed to get going.

I think I'm well on my way to getting everything set up to start what I hope will be a lifelong hobby. As a kid I hated doing woodworking (because it felt like work) but as I get older I am beginning to realize how much I enjoy working with my hands.

Sorry for the long post, but I am excited to get going again and to learn all that I either don't know or have long forgotten.

Sounds like a great project to get going, and just in this project alone you'll likely pay for the tools vs. buying cabinets, so in a way they are free

Hi Bill,

Yes that's the plan anyhow. The kicker on the project is that we are adding onto the existing cabinetry so we want the design to match what is already in the house. We were quoted about $5k to do the addition. I should come in somewhere around $4k all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lambert View Post
    Hi Bill,

Yes that's the plan anyhow. The kicker on the project is that we are adding onto the existing cabinetry so we want the design to match what is already in the house. We were quoted about $5k to do the addition. I should come in somewhere around $4k all said and done.
    What are you going to use for Joinery? The Kreg pocket hole system is pretty good, but if you have a $1000 left, maybe the Festool Domino?

Welcome to the forum Nick and looking forward to hearing about the cabinet project as you go along. Cabinets are mostly big boxes with shelves and doors added, but they are "big" boxes and require some space to work on and, more importantly, store them while working through the different phases of the build. Sounds like you will be handling sheet goods so I would say that some type of a "catch table" to position in behind the table saw would be a first shop build. That table can also double as a work/assembly table as required. Have fun.
    David

Thanks! To answer both questions....

I should have mentioned that I already have the Kreg K4 master system to handle joinery. Part of setting up the shop will be to build a large outfeed/assembly table at the end of the saw to handle most of what I need.

Welcome to the forum Nick.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress on the home improvements.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Welcome Nick. I'd guess I'm pretty close to your age, although I guess I have to give the nod to late 30's these days. I'm in Trussville, just NE of Birmingham.

Good luck with the project, it's a slippery slope.

Thanks guys. I haven't made much progress at the moment. My electrician hasn't sent me the list of materials to go buy (was supposed to do that Thursday, then Saturday, and then Sunday) so until it gets a new feeder to the garage I can't even begin to do anything. He's doing this as a favor so I'm having to exercise some patience with him since his daughter plays softball and just started her season. I hope to be off to the races here soon.

Welcome Nick. I live in Madison BTW. Reach out if you want/need help with anything. Look up "Alabama Woodworker" on instagram. Huy has a really nice outfeed/assembly table he made. I've got a couple of "one sheet plywood" tables that I picked up from Jay Bates/April Wilkerson (youtube) that treat me well. Also, Woodcraft in Nashville is only a little over an hours drive for us here. Closer than the BHam and Chattanooga stores. I was there Sunday and they have a nice selection of whatever you need. I usually ask some of the locals if they need anything if I head that way. PM me if you want some local sources of hardwoods and plywood. Huy put me on some better selections than the big box stores.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I just found Huy on youtube and subscribed to his channel. He seems to be very knowledgeable.

I didn't know Woodcraft was in Nashville. That's good to know! My dad was telling me about the one in Pelham so we were preparing to drive down there. I heard Huy mention a few wood places on his channel but I can't recall the names of them. That would be great to have. Dad buys all of his wood from a place south of Birmingham but he buys wholesale. I can't order enough to get a tractor trailer load they require to come up here. lol.

Nick,

American Hardwoods in Toney. Was there in Friday. Pretty big place, huge warehouse. Hardwoods and plywoods, mouldings, who knows what else. Open only during the week.

Littrell Lumber supply in Decatur. Good sawmill shop. That's where Huy got his SYP for his workbench. Been a couple times.

Rugby architectural supply in Decatur. That's where I get my ply from. More reasonable pricing than big box stores and better quality. Not US made ply though the name is US Ply.

Let me know if you ever need anything from Littrell or Rugby. I work in Decatur.

For the Woodcraft, it's off exit 65 on I65 actually in Franklin. Easy drive from her.

Kevin