Thread: Which large chuck?

Which large chuck?

Have a nova comet with a nova G3 and I just ordered a Laguna revo 18/36. Wondered what chuck everyone used and recommended for larger pieces on the Laguna. I would like to buy a larger chuck that fits the Laguna but that I won't outgrow even if I move to a bigger 24" lathe one day.

Thanks.

Greg, here are some threads that might be helpful as this topic does come up frequently. Personally, I use Nova Supernova II chucks.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...easiest-to-use

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...or-a-Nova-1624

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Have a nova comet with a nova G3 and I just ordered a Laguna revo 18/36. Wondered what chuck everyone used and recommended for larger pieces on the Laguna. I would like to buy a larger chuck that fits the Laguna but that I won't outgrow even if I move to a bigger 24" lathe one day.

Thanks.
    Oneway Stronghold does fit the bill, high quality and all sizes of adaptors to fit any lathe you will ever get, holding power is the best there is IMO.
    Have fun and take care

4. Both the SuperNova2 and the Oneway Stronhold are good choices.......another good choice is the Hurricane HTC 100 and HTC-125. I have both SuperNovas and Hurricane chucks......I like the quality of the Hurricanes quite a bit.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I use the Vickmark. Also used by Mike Mahoney, Stuart Batty, Glen Lucas, and many other production turners. Built like a tank.

robo hippy

You would not go wrong with either Vicmarc or Oneway Stronghold. I have both, and they both perform Exceptionally well.

What robo said. - John

I'm by no means qualified to provide a suggestion as a woodturner but from one who appreciates well made tools the Evolution SK114 chuck by Axminster may interest you. It's made out of stainless steel and has features I haven't found on other chucks. It doesn't use an adapter like the Stronghold and Vicmarc so using it on another machine down the road might be limiting. The other good is that it's made in another English speaking country.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 03-04-2017 at 9:34 AM.

Hurricane 125 here.
    Don

Vicmarc 120 and Bulldog Vicmarc clone. Both great!

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Delisle View Post
    You would not go wrong with either Vicmarc or Oneway Stronghold. I have both, and they both perform Exceptionally well.
    Agree on both counts. I am a Oneway owner, but have used Vicmarcs enough to recognize that they are spectacular chucks as well. I do know a couple of guys who turn big stuff who both really like the Hurricanes but have never used one personally so cannot opine on them. The prices sure are good though.
    A link to my homepage is in my profile.

Where are the Hurricane chucks made?

13. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Where are the Hurricane chucks made?
    I think most chucks, except the Oneway's are now made in China. I read somewhere tha Vicmarc had moved the manufacture of theirs from Australia to china a while back......I cannot personally confirm that, however, but have heard that mentioned on a couple of forums the last couple of years.

The Hurricane Chucks are clones of the Vicmarc . The HTC-125 matches up well with the Vicmarc 120 in size.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I think most chucks, except the Oneway's are now made in China. I read somewhere tha Vicmarc had moved the manufacture of theirs from Australia to china a while back......I cannot personally confirm that, however, but have heard that mentioned on a couple of forums the last couple of years.

The Hurricane Chucks are clones of the Vicmarc . The HTC-125 matches up well with the Vicmarc 120 in size.
    The Vicmarc 120 I have is stamped on the back "Australia". Must be one of the early ones. I believe the Evolution SK114 by Axminster is made in the UK, at least that's what their video states. I have one on backorder and look forward to see how its made.