Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw Buy: New Laguna 14BX (220v) or Craiglist find, used Rikon 10-325

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    The 14BX will probably do 95 percent of anything you could want and is probably dollar for dollar one of the best bandsaws on the market.
    This is what I've been thinking and why I still keep coming back to it as my decision. I'd love to get a larger saw, but the 14" really fits perfectly into the small space I have right now. In 3 or 4 years when we move and I have more room, perhaps I'll get a larger saw. My neighbor across the street has a 20" PM bandsaw so if I run into something I really can't do on the 14, I'm willing to bet his saw will handle it.

Thanks for all the information/opinions everybody. It really has helped me confirm my choice. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Biccum View Post
    This is what I've been thinking and why I still keep coming back to it as my decision. I'd love to get a larger saw, but the 14" really fits perfectly into the small space I have right now. In 3 or 4 years when we move and I have more room, perhaps I'll get a larger saw. My neighbor across the street has a 20" PM bandsaw so if I run into something I really can't do on the 14, I'm willing to bet his saw will handle it.

Thanks for all the information/opinions everybody. It really has helped me confirm my choice. Much appreciated.
    For what it's worth, about a 95 percent chance I'm going to be traveling out of state to pick up a Powermatic 20 inch at the end of the month, and I still would love to add a Laguna 14 BX or a nice Rikon 18 inch or the like to the tool fleet at some point.

I'm going to jump on the Grizzly 19 bandwagon. I went rounds for 4 months on which one to buy and ended up going with it and could not be happier. Threw a Wood Slicer blade on it, urethane tires, tuned it in and I just resawed 9 inch walnut the other day like it was nothing. And I've been using that same blade for 3 years.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Well, I've got the Grizzly 17"HD (with steel trunions the original). I've got it set up for resaw and use it pretty much for that. To be honest in all my years I've not made too many angled cuts with a band saw anyway so my table stays flat. I've hoisted some big stuff to cut like a 12/4" long plank to cut down, and its never failed me. For a second saw I have a little 14" delta 1934 original that i got for a little over 200 that gets the bulk of my bandsaw work. I used the griz for both functions for a long time, but I'm lazy and change over and tuning was a PIA. Now life is wonderful.

If given the choice I see no way a Rikon can compete with the laguna no way shape or form, been up close and pursonal with both brands.

First choice for me would be to find an old Delta (i mean old) and get that. Second would be the Laguna (cry once). The Griz would be a good thrid. Not a fan of Rikons.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    Well, I've got the Grizzly 17"HD (with steel trunions the original). I've got it set up for resaw and use it pretty much for that. To be honest in all my years I've not made too many angled cuts with a band saw anyway so my table stays flat. I've hoisted some big stuff to cut like a 12/4" long plank to cut down, and its never failed me. For a second saw I have a little 14" delta 1934 original that i got for a little over 200 that gets the bulk of my bandsaw work. I used the griz for both functions for a long time, but I'm lazy and change over and tuning was a PIA. Now life is wonderful.

If given the choice I see no way a Rikon can compete with the laguna no way shape or form, been up close and pursonal with both brands.

First choice for me would be to find an old Delta (i mean old) and get that. Second would be the Laguna (cry once). The Griz would be a good thrid. Not a fan of Rikons.
    Old Deltas are nice, I could see buying one to replace or supplement the Jet 14 inch band saw I currently use. Laguna and the Old Deltas are two wildly and completely different saws. Personally, I really like the idea of more than one band saw in a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    I'm going to jump on the Grizzly 19 bandwagon. I went rounds for 4 months on which one to buy and ended up going with it and could not be happier. Threw a Wood Slicer blade on it, urethane tires, tuned it in and I just resawed 9 inch walnut the other day like it was nothing. And I've been using that same blade for 3 years.
    The thing that amazed me the first time I got to get up close and personal with a larger Grizzly band saw was just how nice the tool is.

I will consider it really strongly if I ever get another band saw. I will also strongly consider the 1023 if i ever replace my Unsiaw for whatever reason, although the Unsiaw is fine.

Chris, I started off about to buy the cheapest 17" Grizzly bandsaw just to have something to use for resawing. I added 50 here and 50 there and another 50 here and I was up to a nice 17" top of the line with all the bells and whistles. Then I went, well damn, for $300 extra I can get the 19". So I sold myself into the 19 and kicked myself after I spent that much but looking back, I am so glad I made it work and swung the extra cash, even if it meant I couldn't buy anything else for a few months besides Ramen and tap water.... I've had mine for about 8 years I believe. I thought the blade was only a few years old but I put it on maybe 6 months after I bought it. Still slices like butta.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    I've had mine for about 8 years I believe. I thought the blade was only a few years old but I put it on maybe 6 months after I bought it. Still slices like butta.
    You have gotten incredible use out of that blade! I can get MAYBE 100 sq ft of cut (100 linear ft x 12" tall) in medium density hardwood out of a hardened spring steel blade and it is TOAST. I usually keep about 10 on hand and toss them after a single flitch.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.